Blackfriars <-> London Bridge
Add Reply
s***@potato.field
2017-05-05 14:45:01 UTC
When was there last a service that went through both these stations? I noticed
theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the charing X line
but the tracks were rusty and there were some road-rail maintenance machines
sitting on it. Is it just for occasional out of service stock movements now?
Spud
tim...
2017-05-05 15:00:58 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
When was there last a service that went through both these stations? I noticed
theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the charing X line
but the tracks were rusty and there were some road-rail maintenance machines
sitting on it. Is it just for occasional out of service stock movements now?
you need to see the thread:

"10 milllion quid to turn the Metropolitan curve into a siding for one
train"

on ur

tim
Tony Dragon
The Metropolitain Curve does not go to Blackfriars, but to Cannon Street.
Tony Dragon
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Jo H
2017-05-07 10:14:45 UTC
I think these https://binged.it/2pU46wi are the tracks the OP is talking about.

Wouldn't have Thameslink services from Blackfriars to London Bridge used these tracks before the extensive constructions works at LBG began in 2015?
Recliner
2017-05-07 11:07:52 UTC
Post by Jo H
I think these https://binged.it/2pU46wi are the tracks the OP is talking about.
Wouldn't have Thameslink services from Blackfriars to London Bridge used
these tracks before the extensive constructions works at LBG began in 2015?
Yes. That's a very old, pre-Shard image, of course. I'm amazed Bing still
has such old images. Here's Google's slightly newer version (which is still
quite out-of-date):
<https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5041035,-0.1005191,19z/data=!3m1!1e3>

Here's some later pics I took shortly after the new viaduct was brought
into use and the link to Blackfriars was cut:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/sets/72157663213445225/
s***@potato.field
2017-05-07 16:41:02 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
but the tracks were rusty and there were some road-rail maintenance machines
sitting on it. Is it just for occasional out of service stock movements now?
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
Spud
Tony Dragon
2017-05-07 18:01:45 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
but the tracks were rusty and there were some road-rail maintenance machines
sitting on it. Is it just for occasional out of service stock movements now?
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
When you said the Charing Cross line, I thought you meant Blackfriars to
Charring Cross
Recliner
2017-05-07 19:59:23 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
but the tracks were rusty and there were some road-rail maintenance machines
sitting on it. Is it just for occasional out of service stock movements now?
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
Presumably you mean the (currently unused) link from Blackfriars to London
Bridge, which used to share the tracks from Charing X to London Bridge?
s***@potato.field
2017-05-08 08:17:49 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 19:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
Presumably you mean the (currently unused) link from Blackfriars to London
Bridge, which used to share the tracks from Charing X to London Bridge?
Yup. Just wondering what it was/is used for.
Spud
Recliner
2017-05-08 08:21:53 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
On Sun, 7 May 2017 19:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
It's the main Thameslink line.
s***@potato.field
2017-05-08 08:41:57 UTC
On Mon, 8 May 2017 08:21:53 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
On Sun, 7 May 2017 19:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
Presumably you mean the (currently unused) link from Blackfriars to London
Bridge, which used to share the tracks from Charing X to London Bridge?
Yup. Just wondering what it was/is used for.
It's the main Thameslink line.
It can't be , its out of use.
Spud
Recliner
2017-05-08 08:56:55 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
On Sun, 7 May 2017 19:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by s***@potato.field
Are you sure you mean Blackfriars?
Yes. Theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to the
charing-x line. Look on google earth.
Presumably you mean the (currently unused) link from Blackfriars to London
Bridge, which used to share the tracks from Charing X to London Bridge?
Yup. Just wondering what it was/is used for.
It's the main Thameslink line.
It can't be , its out of use.
Of course it's the main Thameslink line. Surely even you must know that?

Or perhaps you've yet to hear about the little modification project at
London Bridge?
s***@potato.field
2017-05-08 09:06:01 UTC
On Mon, 8 May 2017 08:56:55 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by Recliner
It's the main Thameslink line.
It can't be , its out of use.
Of course it's the main Thameslink line. Surely even you must know that?
I've never used thameslink south of the river so I have no idea of its route
other than it runs to brighton.
Post by Recliner
Or perhaps you've yet to hear about the little modification project at
London Bridge?
So presumably there's currently no thameslink service to london bridge and
hasn't been for quite some time.
Spud
Basil Jet
2017-05-08 11:55:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Or perhaps you've yet to hear about the little modification project at
London Bridge?
So presumably there's currently no thameslink service to london bridge and
hasn't been for quite some time.
Not to/from the north. There are "Thameslink" trains between Brighton
and London Bridge.
s***@potato.field
2017-05-08 12:48:11 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Or perhaps you've yet to hear about the little modification project at
London Bridge?
So presumably there's currently no thameslink service to london bridge and
hasn't been for quite some time.
Not to/from the north. There are "Thameslink" trains between Brighton
and London Bridge.
Ah ok. I realise there's been a bit of chaos at london bridge but isn't that
just down to platforms or did they close some through lines too? If not why
couldn't thameslink continue to run through london bridge without stopping?
Spud
Paul Corfield
2017-05-22 11:49:32 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Or perhaps you've yet to hear about the little modification project at
London Bridge?
So presumably there's currently no thameslink service to london bridge and
hasn't been for quite some time.
Not to/from the north. There are "Thameslink" trains between Brighton
and London Bridge.
Ah ok. I realise there's been a bit of chaos at london bridge but isn't that
just down to platforms or did they close some through lines too? If not why
couldn't thameslink continue to run through london bridge without stopping?
The lines you refer to were used by Thameslink for services to / from Brighton via London Bridge. They are temporarily out of service while the track alignment between Waterloo East and London Bridge is doubled and London Bridge station is rebuilt. The end result will allow a double track route from Blackfriars to the Brighton Main Line tracks south of London Bridge station. In the past there was just a single track junction from the ramp down from Blackfriars on to the lines to / from Charing Cross.

The future scenario (largely in place now) has put two new tracks used by Charing Cross trains. This leaves two full tracks for future use by Thameslink. They will also have two dedicated tracks and platforms at London Bridge and then they continue to a new flyover east of London Bridge that lifts the Thameslink route over the suburban tracks to New Cross. This means a vastly more frequent Thameslink service can be run through London Bridge. There should be 16 trains per hours via LB and 8 running south of BF via Elephant and Castle.

At present Thameslink through services are routed through suburban tracks in South London towards Croydon as well as a residual half hourly service that runs from the terminal platforms at London Bridge.

Thameslink through services over the old connecting tracks to Blackfriars resume in 2018 and built up to a full service from Dec 2018. The remaining project milestones are Jan, May and Dec 2018 in terms of restoring services and stopping patterns at or through London Bridge. That applies to South Eastern as well as Thameslink services that have been subject to extensive changes during the rebuild.

At the moment the northern end of London Bridge station is being rebuilt and trains from the Greenwich line to Cannon St are not stopping as the platforms are all being rebuilt.

HTH
--
Paul C
via Google
Offramp
2017-05-22 20:43:13 UTC
I wonder how many people have been caught out by that London Bridge to Victoria service.

Some poor stranded commuter, desperate to get to Victoria, and he sees it appear on the destination board. He jumps on!! What could be simplon?

Six hours later, bloated and dehydrated, he arrives at Victoria.

Victoria at 5am resembles a cross between Threads and The Equaliser.

He asks two cleaners how to get to West Croydon. All he hears is laughter, laughter, laughter.
Recliner
2017-05-22 21:24:47 UTC
I wonder how many people have been caught out by that London Bridge to Victoria service.
Some poor stranded commuter, desperate to get to Victoria, and he sees it
appear on the destination board. He jumps on!! What could be simplon?
Six hours later, bloated and dehydrated, he arrives at Victoria.
Victoria at 5am resembles a cross between Threads and The Equaliser.
He asks two cleaners how to get to West Croydon. All he hears is
laughter, laughter, laughter.
Does that service still operate? I thought the LO South London line
service replaced it.
Paul Corfield
2017-05-22 21:35:39 UTC
I wonder how many people have been caught out by that London Bridge to Victoria service.
Some poor stranded commuter, desperate to get to Victoria, and he sees it
appear on the destination board. He jumps on!! What could be simplon?
Six hours later, bloated and dehydrated, he arrives at Victoria.
Victoria at 5am resembles a cross between Threads and The Equaliser.
He asks two cleaners how to get to West Croydon. All he hears is
laughter, laughter, laughter.
Does that service still operate? I thought the LO South London line
service replaced it.
The old South London Line service was replaced in part by the LO service to Clapham Junction. There is, I believe, another LB to Vic service via Crystal Palace and elsewhere.
--
Paul C
via Google
Basil Jet
2017-05-22 21:36:26 UTC
I wonder how many people have been caught out by that London Bridge to Victoria service.
Some poor stranded commuter, desperate to get to Victoria, and he sees it
appear on the destination board. He jumps on!! What could be simplon?
Six hours later, bloated and dehydrated, he arrives at Victoria.
Victoria at 5am resembles a cross between Threads and The Equaliser.
He asks two cleaners how to get to West Croydon. All he hears is
laughter, laughter, laughter.
Does that service still operate? I thought the LO South London line
service replaced it.
The direct (hahaha) service via Denmark Hill got replaced by the
Overground. The service from London Bridge - Sydenham - Crystal Palace -
Victoria still runs, hence the six hour comment above.