Video shows cyclist pulling emergency engine stop on bus as ‘revenge’ for ‘aggressive’ pass
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-06-27 09:59:48 UTC
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-engine-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
Offramp
2017-06-27 11:41:26 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-engine-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
s***@potato.field
2017-06-27 12:33:30 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 04:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-eng
ne-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
That bus did pass damn close, but it doesn't justify inconveniencing the
passengers on it.

As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
Spud
Offramp
2017-06-27 14:21:31 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
It does seem a bit of a design fault. Do these buses also have self-destruct buttons?

Does the ENGINE STOP button need to be reset from that box at the back, or can the driver do it remotely? If he has to reset it by hand it is a nifty way of getting a driver to desert his cab at night.
Basil Jet
2017-06-28 13:03:34 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
It does seem a bit of a design fault. Do these buses also have self-destruct buttons?
Does the ENGINE STOP button need to be reset from that box at the back, or can the driver do it remotely? If he has to reset it by hand it is a nifty way of getting a driver to desert his cab at night.
There was a spate of yobs doing this on buses in the Stanwell Moor area
(between Heathrow and Staines) a few years back. I don't know how the
situation resolved itself.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-06-28 13:25:55 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
It does seem a bit of a design fault. Do these buses also have self-destruct buttons?
Does the ENGINE STOP button need to be reset from that box at the back, or can the driver do it remotely? If he has to reset it by hand it is a nifty way of getting a driver to desert his cab at night.
There was a spate of yobs doing this on buses in the Stanwell Moor area
(between Heathrow and Staines) a few years back. I don't know how the
situation resolved itself.
Many buses I have observed, usually when behind them in traffic do not
have the engine stop button quite so easily accessible as they once
were for probably for that reason.

Sorry about the poor colour contrast and you may have to enlarge the
picture but this one is typical with the instructions just above the
number plate.

Does make you wonder what to do though if the access is damaged by
another vehicle running into it.

G.Harman
Clive Page
2017-06-29 21:46:36 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-eng
ne-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
That bus did pass damn close, but it doesn't justify inconveniencing the
passengers on it.
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
As a cyclist I have many times seen aggressive and dangerous behaviour
by bus drivers and have many times been sorely tempted, on catching up
with them, to do just the same, but never did. I applaud his courage in
expressing his displeasure. I just hope the bus driver learns his lesson.
Clive Page
h***@yahoo.co.uk
He has not learned any lesson.
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-06-30 14:34:47 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-eng
ne-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
That bus did pass damn close, but it doesn't justify inconveniencing the
passengers on it.
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
As a cyclist I have many times seen aggressive and dangerous behaviour
by bus drivers and have many times been sorely tempted, on catching up
with them, to do just the same, but never did. I applaud his courage
in expressing his displeasure. I just hope the bus driver learns his
lesson.
He has not learned any lesson.
Actually, the driver did learn a lesson, though it is likely not what
one might think.
s***@potato.field
2017-06-30 08:26:07 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
ne-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
That bus did pass damn close, but it doesn't justify inconveniencing the
passengers on it.
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
As a cyclist I have many times seen aggressive and dangerous behaviour
by bus drivers and have many times been sorely tempted, on catching up
with them, to do just the same, but never did. I applaud his courage in
expressing his displeasure. I just hope the bus driver learns his lesson.
The bus driver won't give a toss - he gets paid either way. In fact he may
even welcome the short break. Its the passengers that are inconvenienced you
selfish twat not to mention all the vehicles now stuck behind the dead bus.
Spud
Robin
2017-06-30 09:41:19 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-eng
ne-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
What a git.
That bus did pass damn close, but it doesn't justify inconveniencing the
passengers on it.
As an aside, I wonder if pushing the emergency stop on a hybrid prevents the
electric motors being used too?
As a cyclist I have many times seen aggressive and dangerous behaviour
by bus drivers and have many times been sorely tempted, on catching up
with them, to do just the same, but never did. I applaud his courage in
expressing his displeasure. I just hope the bus driver learns his lesson.
Would you also applaud direct action by users of public transport to
express their displeasure when cyclists fail to stop at crossings,
assert their right to use the pavement (whether or not designated for
shared use), ride at speed aggressively, and cycle on platforms and
concourses?
Clive Page
2017-07-01 20:33:30 UTC
Post by Robin
Would you also applaud direct action by users of public transport to
express their displeasure when cyclists fail to stop at crossings,
assert their right to use the pavement (whether or not designated for
shared use), ride at speed aggressively, and cycle on platforms and
concourses?
As a cyclist who never did any of these things, it annoyed me intensely
to see other cyclists breaking the law so often. So I might find myself
approving. Applauding - well one can't do that while cycling as it
would need two hands.
Clive Page
Nobody
2017-07-02 00:04:32 UTC
Post by Clive Page
Post by Robin
Would you also applaud direct action by users of public transport to
express their displeasure when cyclists fail to stop at crossings,
assert their right to use the pavement (whether or not designated for
shared use), ride at speed aggressively, and cycle on platforms and
concourses?
As a cyclist who never did any of these things, it annoyed me intensely
to see other cyclists breaking the law so often. So I might find myself
approving. Applauding - well one can't do that while cycling as it
would need two hands.
I was once admonished by the local police in Vancouver for riding a
bicycle without hands along a beach-side path (not vehicular-mixed
street).

Apparently, I was threatening Canada's 'free' healthcare system with
bankruptcy... while coupla-tonne zoom-zooms were grossly ignoring the
speed limit along the street closeby.

Robin
2017-06-27 13:24:30 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-engine-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
I am surprised TfL said "it is not illegal". Criminal damage does not
require physical damage; it includes temporary impairment or temporary
loss of use. But I suppose TfL might not want to suggest that anything
done on 2 wheels can be criminal.
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-06-28 13:59:09 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/video-shows-cyclist-pulling-emergency-engine-stop-on-bus-as-revenge-for-aggressive-pass-a3571621.html
I bicylce through the city now and again. I normally keep to the left,
follow the rules of the road, obey traffic signals and keep away from
larger vehicles.

I also try to avoid the "holier-and-cooler-than-thou" attitude with
other vehicles

Seems to work for me.
Neil Williams
2017-06-28 21:57:58 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I bicylce through the city now and again. I normally keep to the left,
follow the rules of the road, obey traffic signals and keep away from
larger vehicles.
I also try to avoid the "holier-and-cooler-than-thou" attitude with
other vehicles
Seems to work for me.
Me too. Drive defensively and cycle defensively. Get there a bit
slower, but get there safely and without being completely adrenalined
up.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Someone Somewhere
2017-06-30 07:50:10 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I bicylce through the city now and again. I normally keep to the left,
follow the rules of the road, obey traffic signals and keep away from
larger vehicles.
I also try to avoid the "holier-and-cooler-than-thou" attitude with
other vehicles
Seems to work for me.
Me too. Drive defensively and cycle defensively. Get there a bit
slower, but get there safely and without being completely adrenalined up.
Neil
The problem is that a lot of people interpret "defensively" as taking a
holier-than-thou attitude to the road and ending up getting in other
road users way unnecessarily and hence causing the kind of aggression
they are trying to avoid.
Roland Perry
2017-06-30 09:18:22 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by Neil Williams
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I bicylce through the city now and again. I normally keep to the
left, follow the rules of the road, obey traffic signals and keep
away from larger vehicles.
I also try to avoid the "holier-and-cooler-than-thou" attitude with
other vehicles
Seems to work for me.
Me too. Drive defensively and cycle defensively. Get there a bit
slower, but get there safely and without being completely adrenalined
The problem is that a lot of people interpret "defensively" as taking a
holier-than-thou attitude to the road and ending up getting in other
road users way unnecessarily and hence causing the kind of aggression
they are trying to avoid.
The opposite, surely. You appear to be describing what cyclists call
"assertively" (which some claim makes them safer as well as faster, but
isn't defensive as usually meant).

In particular, defensive cycling involves picking a route with the least
opportunities for conflict (even if it's not the most direct) and
getting off and pushing if that's safer than insisting on "your right to
use the road".
Someone Somewhere
2017-06-30 11:49:04 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by Neil Williams
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I think my point was that the term can be, and is, regularly misused.
You provide the accepted, correct, definition but too many try to
"defend" their rights to use the roads as they see fit rather than
trying to do their best for the common good of trying to get as many
vehicles etc down one stretch of road as efficiently as possible.