Replacement travel information?
Dr J R Stockton
2017-02-16 10:10:18 UTC
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-

<http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp>
<http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner>
<http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/>

Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?
--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ¬@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site < > - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Roland Perry
2017-02-17 07:55:36 UTC
In message <***@invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid>, at
10:10:18 on Thu, 16 Feb 2017, Dr J R Stockton
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.
Post by Dr J R Stockton
What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-
<http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp>
<http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner>
<http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/>
Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?
roadworks.org I expect.
2017-02-17 14:29:48 UTC
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.
you seem to have missed

"as part of a plan to help save £15m"

2017-02-17 15:34:33 UTC
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very
poor value for money.
you seem to have missed
"as part of a plan to help save £15m"
Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.
2017-02-17 19:09:39 UTC
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.
you seem to have missed
"as part of a plan to help save £15m"
Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.
presumably the rest come from closing other web services

like the proposal to close BBC Food - oh dear!

More realistically

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30 different
languages?

2017-02-17 21:25:24 UTC
what benefit does the BBC gain from translating
Some of, I expect. Or is "Look East" really available in Swahili?
Post by tim...
their news into 30 different languages?
Because they have something called a "World Service"?
2017-02-18 09:00:52 UTC
Post by tim...
their news into 30 different languages?
Because they have something called a "World Service"?
so who's paying for that then?

Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?

tim
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-02-18 09:17:18 UTC
Post by tim...
their news into 30 different languages?
Because they have something called a "World Service"?
so who's paying for that then?
Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?
Who funds the foreign office?
jhk
Recliner
2017-02-18 09:17:38 UTC
Post by tim...
their news into 30 different languages?
Because they have something called a "World Service"?
so who's paying for that then?
Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?
This has been covered extensively in the news. Did you miss all the
coverage?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/16/bbc-world-service-funding-foreign-office

https://www.creativetoolkit.org.uk/news/1027

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-invests-85m-in-bbc-world-service-in-soft-power-u-turn-a6745736.html
tim...
2017-02-18 11:32:00 UTC
Post by tim...
their news into 30 different languages?
Because they have something called a "World Service"?
so who's paying for that then?
Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?
This has been covered extensively in the news. Did you miss all the
coverage?
No I was aware that the FO had lumbered the Beeb with this costs

but I also seem to recall that at the most recent agreement the FO took it
back

tim
bob
2017-02-18 14:23:04 UTC
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.
you seem to have missed
"as part of a plan to help save £15m"
Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.
presumably the rest come from closing other web services
like the proposal to close BBC Food - oh dear!
More realistically
what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30 different
languages?
Two of those other languages are British ones.

Robin
s***@potato.field
2017-02-20 11:07:02 UTC
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:23:04 -0000 (UTC)
Post by bob
Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.
presumably the rest come from closing other web services
like the proposal to close BBC Food - oh dear!
More realistically
what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30 different
languages?
Two of those other languages are British ones.
Welsh I can understand spending money on, but spending money on a radio & TV
station for scots gaelic which is spoken by barely a few thousand people in
the western isles is an extravagance too far IMO. They'd be far better off
putting more money into scottish regional programming.
Spud
Basil Jet
2017-02-18 16:55:42 UTC
what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30
different languages?
Marxism is for everyone!

It also creates lots of jobs that the British are disqualified from
applying for.
BirchangerKen
Can I nominate this for the idiotic posting of the week prize?
Basil Jet
You can, but it won't make me wrong.
tim...
2017-02-20 18:05:40 UTC
Post by BirchangerKen
what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30
different languages?
Marxism is for everyone!
It also creates lots of jobs that the British are disqualified from
applying for.
Can I nominate this for the idiotic posting of the week prize?
You can, but it won't make me wrong.
I think you were

they might be unqualified, but they aren't disqualified (AFAIA)

tim

Neil Williams
2017-02-17 10:52:21 UTC
Post by Dr J R Stockton
BBC URL <http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/> now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".
What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-
<http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp>
<http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner>
<http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/>
Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?
For road travel? A combination of Google Maps (for real time
congestion data) and the Highways Agency incident site (for incidents).

For rail? nationalrail.co.uk and TOC sites/Twitter feeds.

For coach? The NatEx/Megabus sites and Twitter feeds.

For local bus? There isn't a reliable source of information, nor was
the BBC as bus companies rarely supplied them with it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams