Multiple Spellings
2017-03-18 08:27:45 UTC
I may be flying from Stansted in the near future, so I was putting that name into various search engines. Some of them autocompleted to STANSTED and some to STANSTEAD. I finally realised the problem: Stansted Airport is in an area called Stanstead (I think).

Whenever I used to have to spell Haringey I had to look it up, until I realised that there is more than one official spelling.
s***@googlemail.com
2017-03-18 08:37:24 UTC
Selsdon Selsden?
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-03-18 09:40:49 UTC
I may be flying from Stansted in the near future, so I was putting
that name into various search engines. Some of them autocompleted to
Stansted Airport is in an area called Stanstead (I think).
Whenever I used to have to spell Haringey I had to look it up, until
I realised that there is more than one official spelling.
No. There is a place called Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire not very far
from the airport but the nearby settlement from which the airport takes its
name is Stansted Mountfitchet. After the airport railway station was opened
the station at Stansted was renamed Stansted Mountfitchet.
Richard J.
2017-03-18 09:46:41 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Offramp
I may be flying from Stansted in the near future, so I was putting
that name into various search engines. Some of them autocompleted to
Stansted Airport is in an area called Stanstead (I think).
Whenever I used to have to spell Haringey I had to look it up, until
I realised that there is more than one official spelling.
No. There is a place called Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire not very far
from the airport but the nearby settlement from which the airport takes its
name is Stansted Mountfitchet. After the airport railway station was opened
the station at Stansted was renamed Stansted Mountfitchet.
Further to Colin's post, there is also a village called Stanstead in
Suffolk about 30 miles to the north-east.
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Offramp
Whenever I used to have to spell Haringey I had to look it up, until I realised that there is more than one official spelling.
The spelling has evolved over time, as with many other place names. The
district name is Harringay, but when it became part of a London borough
in 1965, the borough took an older spelling of Haringey.
--
Richard J.