Bank Junction
2017-01-16 15:51:07 UTC
How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren! Get a grip!
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-01-17 01:44:36 UTC
How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never
heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it
up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with
the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961."
Small j there, of course.
And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if
it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets
converge. Wren! Get a grip!
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.
Walter Briscoe
2017-01-17 11:39:07 UTC
In message <***@giganews.com> of Mon, 16
Jan 2017 19:44:36 in uk.transport.london, ***@cix.compulink.co.uk
writes
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Offramp
How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never
heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it
up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with
the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961."
Small j there, of course.
And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if
it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets
converge. Wren! Get a grip!
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.
From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.
Lots more information is available at
<https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/transport-and-streets/traffic-
management/Pages/Bank-On-Safety.aspx>
Walter Briscoe
s***@potato.field
2017-01-17 12:06:06 UTC
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:39:07 +0000
Post by Walter Briscoe
writes
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.
From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.
That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.
Spud
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-01-18 01:03:39 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:39:07 +0000
Post by Walter Briscoe
writes
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.
From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.
That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.
Not to mention the false foreign plates.
s***@potato.field
2017-01-18 09:24:53 UTC
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:03:39 -0600
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by s***@potato.field
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:39:07 +0000
Post by Walter Briscoe
writes
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.
From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.
That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.
Not to mention the false foreign plates.
Case in point - a few weeks back I saw a RHD car with bulgarian plates and
an asian driver. Thanks to the idiotic policy of replacing traffic police with
cameras he'll probably get away with it for ages if he's ever caught at all.
Spud
Robin9
2017-01-17 09:02:59 UTC
Taxi drivers call it Bank Junction. Most Londoners simply
say "Bank," omitting the definite article

Michael R N Dolbear
2017-01-17 22:02:43 UTC
How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard
the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had
never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption,
"Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of
course.
And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it
was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren!
Get a grip!
Wren died 1723 and the Bank of England moved there (with extensive road
changes following) in 1734 so perhaps not.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/Pages/history/buildings.aspx#

Sir John Soane extended the Bank's site until it had doubled in size to 3.5
acres. He eventually enclosed it with a windowless wall in 1828.
Mike D
D A Stocks
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of course.
And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren! Get a grip!
King William Street didn't exist until the 1830 London Bridge was
built - before that all the North-South traffic would have used
Gracechurch St. The City was rebuilt on the mediaeval street plan
after the Great Fire, so you can't blame Wren for
it.

--
DAS

----Android NewsGroup Reader----