Crossrail transition
2017-10-09 11:18:53 UTC
Another TfL paper - this time setting out progress for Crossrail and the preparations for running into Heathrow from next May and the wider preparation for start of Central London services in 14 months time.

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/pic-20171013-agenda-item13.pdf

You will note that several issues are now on critical paths with little flexibility to cope with delays. These centre largely around getting signalling systems tested and integrated and also obtaining the large number of sign offs for the safe introduction of a lot of new railway assets.

Oyster and Contactless ticketing to Heathrow via HEX and Crossrail should be introduced next May according to the paper.
--
Paul C
via Google
Someone Somewhere
2017-10-09 11:22:12 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Another TfL paper - this time setting out progress for Crossrail and the preparations for running into Heathrow from next May and the wider preparation for start of Central London services in 14 months time.
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/pic-20171013-agenda-item13.pdf
You will note that several issues are now on critical paths with little flexibility to cope with delays. These centre largely around getting signalling systems tested and integrated and also obtaining the large number of sign offs for the safe introduction of a lot of new railway assets.
Oyster and Contactless ticketing to Heathrow via HEX and Crossrail should be introduced next May according to the paper.
Interesting - thanks.

Do we know what the fare levels to Heathrow will be yet, or is that
still up in the air (pun not intended, the trains aren't planes)?
Roland Perry
2017-10-09 12:47:01 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Do we know what the fare levels to Heathrow will be yet, or is that
still up in the air (pun not intended, the trains aren't planes)?
A train driver recently said over the PA, I don't know if unwittingly or
with very great wit: "We are now completing our approach into Cambridge
Station"
Why was this witty? Was it in Camberley?
Roland Perry
2017-10-10 09:05:26 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Do we know what the fare levels to Heathrow will be yet, or is that
still up in the air (pun not intended, the trains aren't planes)?
A train driver recently said over the PA, I don't know if
unwittingly or with very great wit: "We are now completing our
approach into Cambridge Station"
Why was this witty?
There's anecdata about guards making announcements pretending to be on a
plane "Welcome aboard, today we'll be cruising at zero feet above the
rails..."
Post by Basil Jet
Was it in Camberley?
Last time I looked, Cambridge wasn't in Camberley.
2017-10-10 10:32:59 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Was it in Camberley?
Last time I looked, Cambridge wasn't in Camberley.
Camberley used to be called Cambridge Town.

Paul Corfield
2017-10-10 00:07:18 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Interesting - thanks.
Do we know what the fare levels to Heathrow will be yet, or is that
still up in the air (pun not intended, the trains aren't planes)?
No idea I'm afraid. I think the only thing that is known for certain is that HEX will retain a premium fare presumably handled by HEX use only validators at Paddington as they have their own dedicated platforms there. Similar in concept to how GatEx is handled at Victoria.

I assume the residual issues with the ORR (over access charging into HAL) have been resolved or are well on the way to resolution given that issue seems to have vanished from the headlines. Obviously the "headline" issue was fixed months back but there were other smaller (unspecified) things to be settled. My guess on fares, assuming that all charges for access for Crossrail are divorced from the fare charged, is that TfL will adopt something similar to the tube Oyster fare to Heathrow. I say that solely because we do not yet know if TfL will have to amend the fares on Great Western to give a smooth taper on fares once they run beyond Zone 6 in late 2019. This is not dissimilar to West Anglia and the Shenfield line having a different fares tariff from the rest of the Overground network.
--
Paul C
via Google
Someone Somewhere
2017-10-10 06:59:05 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Someone Somewhere
[...]
Thanks Paul - let's see if you're right when they finally get around to
publishing them!
Roland Perry
2017-10-09 12:45:26 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Oyster and Contactless ticketing to Heathrow via HEX and Crossrail
should be introduced next May according to the paper.
And SEFT-style ITSO?