Trainspotting (1996)
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-02-23 19:51:00 UTC
So I went to see Trainspotting at my local art cinema today. When they
introduced the film they said the title is an example of a useless
activity!
jhk
Basil Jet
2017-02-23 20:21:25 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
So I went to see Trainspotting at my local art cinema today. When they
introduced the film they said the title is an example of a useless
activity!
They're not wrong. However,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith_Central_railway_station ...

"In the 1980s the derelict station was a haven for drug addicts, this
being alluded to in Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. In one scene, the
character Begbie sees his alcoholic father living in the station. The
macabre joke is that the people who are there are all train-spotting,
despite the fact of it being abandoned since the early 1970s. This is
where the title of the book comes from"
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-02-23 21:03:26 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
So I went to see Trainspotting at my local art cinema today. When they
introduced the film they said the title is an example of a useless
activity!
They're not wrong. However,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith_Central_railway_station ...
"In the 1980s the derelict station was a haven for drug addicts, this
being alluded to in Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. In one scene, the
character Begbie sees his alcoholic father living in the station. The
macabre joke is that the people who are there are all train-spotting,
despite the fact of it being abandoned since the early 1970s. This is
where the title of the book comes from"
It was filmed, but didn't make it to the final cut.
jhk
Richard J.
2017-02-23 22:07:01 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
So I went to see Trainspotting at my local art cinema today. When they
introduced the film they said the title is an example of a useless
activity!
They're not wrong. However,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith_Central_railway_station ...
"In the 1980s the derelict station was a haven for drug addicts, this
being alluded to in Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. In one scene, the
character Begbie sees his alcoholic father living in the station. The
macabre joke is that the people who are there are all train-spotting,
despite the fact of it being abandoned since the early 1970s. This is
where the title of the book comes from"
It was filmed, but didn't make it to the final cut.
... which made it a useless activity about a useless activity.

And we're discussing this on usenet which is a ...

;-)
--
Richard J.