Does a Metro anywhere have a first class section?
Ding Bat
2017-11-04 10:34:59 UTC
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi Metro, with fares ~5 times as high:
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
Neil Williams
2017-11-05 18:38:44 UTC
Post by Ding Bat
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's
Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
German S-Bahnen traditionally did but this is disappearing.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
John Levine
2017-11-05 21:15:58 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Ding Bat
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's
Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
German S-Bahnen traditionally did but this is disappearing.
The Paris metro used to but phased them out in 1981.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/06/world/paris-metro-about-to-travel-all-second-class.html
Offramp
2017-11-05 21:25:40 UTC
I was on the Metro recently. It is now all third class.
Theo
2017-11-06 11:11:55 UTC
Post by John Levine
The Paris metro used to but phased them out in 1981.
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/06/world/paris-metro-about-to-travel-all-second-class.html
Finally in 1991:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/03/world/paris-journal-in-a-class-by-itself-and-now-dear-paris-classless.html
Roy
2017-11-10 12:49:45 UTC
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Ding Bat
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's
Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
German S-Bahnen traditionally did but this is disappearing.
The Metropolitan line inherited first class accommodation from the Met. Rly. It got dropped during the war I believe.
Roy
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-11-10 17:23:16 UTC
Post by Roy
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Ding Bat
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's
Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
German S-Bahnen traditionally did but this is disappearing.
The Metropolitan line inherited first class accommodation from the Met. Rly. It got dropped during the war I believe.
The two Pullman Cars lasted until the outbreak of WW2 as well.

G.Harman

Robin
2017-11-05 22:38:51 UTC
Post by Ding Bat
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
I've not been there but Dubai has a "gold class" on its metro.

https://www.dubai-online.com/transport/metro/tickets-fares/

Not sure where it connects to London though ;)
Ding Bat
2017-11-06 05:06:48 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Ding Bat
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
I've not been there but Dubai has a "gold class" on its metro.
https://www.dubai-online.com/transport/metro/tickets-fares/
Thanks! Double the price, not 5 times like Delhi is mulling:

Some Metro commuters are willing to pay double the price for a trip. Is it worth it? We ask Gold Nol card users.
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/dubai-s-metro-life-gold-class-luxury-travel-myth-or-reality-2013-11-16-1.528195

In Chennai's suburban rail, 1st class fare from Kodambakkam to Trishulam
(the airport station) is Rs. 65 (US$ 1) whereas people's class fare is Rs. 5.
Ding Bat
2017-11-06 05:17:29 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Ding Bat
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
I've not been there but Dubai has a "gold class" on its metro.
https://www.dubai-online.com/transport/metro/tickets-fares/
Not sure where it connects to London though ;)
I didn't know where else to ask the question. Be that as it may, I've seen
speculation over whether it would be a good idea for underground trains
to be longer than platforms. If they were thus lengthened, then since the
carriages at the ends could have at most one door, foot traffic could be
limited to the capacity of just one door by making them sitting only
carriages, and thereby upper class.
Basil Jet
Delhi has women-only coaches, which is a form of class system.
Ding Bat
2017-11-06 05:42:29 UTC
Post by Ding Bat
Post by Robin
Post by Ding Bat
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
I've not been there but Dubai has a "gold class" on its metro.
https://www.dubai-online.com/transport/metro/tickets-fares/
Not sure where it connects to London though ;)
I didn't know where else to ask the question. Be that as it may, I've
seen speculation over whether it would be a good idea for underground
trains to be longer than platforms. If they were thus lengthened, then
since the carriages at the ends could have at most one door, foot
traffic could be limited to the capacity of just one door by making
them sitting only carriages, and thereby upper class.
Delhi has women-only coaches, which is a form of class system.
Women only sections are common in People's class on buses and trains in
India, but not in 2nd or 1st class. They're not a separate fare class.
Recliner
2017-11-06 09:59:38 UTC
Post by Ding Bat
Post by Robin
Post by Ding Bat
Does any city's mass transit have a first class section? India's
Supreme Court weighs the issue of a sitting only class in the Delhi
https://www.mensxp.com/special-features/today/28934-supreme-court-suggests-letting-the-rich-book-seats-on-the-delhi-metro-for-high-prices.html
I've not been there but Dubai has a "gold class" on its metro.
https://www.dubai-online.com/transport/metro/tickets-fares/
Not sure where it connects to London though ;)
I didn't know where else to ask the question. Be that as it may, I've seen
speculation over whether it would be a good idea for underground trains
to be longer than platforms. If they were thus lengthened, then since the
carriages at the ends could have at most one door, foot traffic could be
limited to the capacity of just one door by making them sitting only
carriages, and thereby upper class.
The LU S class trains have the first or last two sets of doors non-opening
at quite a few stations. They certainly don't limit them to seating-only.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-11-06 10:17:23 UTC
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:59:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
The LU S class trains have the first or last two sets of doors non-opening
at quite a few stations.
How many?
jhk
Recliner
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/door-not-in-use.html
Offramp
It's odd that diamondgeezer finds it embarrassing whereas I think it's a perfect solution.
Neil Williams
2017-11-07 09:49:00 UTC
It's odd that diamondgeezer finds it embarrassing whereas I think it's a perfect solution.
Yeah, I see no great problem with it, and it is made very clear on
board with both audio and visual information indicating it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-11-07 17:46:27 UTC
Post by Recliner
The LU S class trains have the first or last two sets of doors non-opening
at quite a few stations.
How many?
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/door-not-in-use.html
That article only list three stations where S7 Hammersmith & City
trains are using selective door opening. What about the rest of the S7
and S8 network?
jhk
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-11-07 22:38:54 UTC
Post by Recliner
The LU S class trains have the first or last two sets of doors
non-opening at quite a few stations.
How many?
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/door-not-in-use.html
That article only list three stations where S7 Hammersmith & City
trains are using selective door opening. What about the rest of the S7
and S8 network?
It doesn't mention the Circle & District stations between High St and
Edgware road (exclusive). I'm fairly sure one of those is the shortest on
the Surface network.
David Cantrell
2017-11-06 13:11:25 UTC
Post by Ding Bat
I didn't know where else to ask the question. Be that as it may, I've seen
speculation over whether it would be a good idea for underground trains
to be longer than platforms.
We already have that.
Post by Ding Bat
If they were thus lengthened, then since the
carriages at the ends could have at most one door, foot traffic could be
limited to the capacity of just one door by making them sitting only
carriages, and thereby upper class.
But not that. TPTB seem to not like SDO and new instances of it are
rare.
--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use. If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
-- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916