Beware the wrath of La Lumley!
2017-08-14 12:08:29 UTC
London's Garden Bridge project officially abandoned

A £200m plan to build a bridge covered with trees across the River
Thames in central London has officially been abandoned.

The Garden Bridge Trust has announced that it is winding up the
project due to a lack of support from the mayor.

In April, Sadiq Khan said he would not provide the financial guarantee
needed for planning permission.

A review of the project said £37.4m had been spent and it would cost
taxpayers £46.4m if it was cancelled.

Since the mayor's decision, the trust has been looking at other
funding options, including speaking to the government. It said that
all potential benefactors and trustees decided the project could not
happen without the support of the mayor.

'Sad day'

In a letter to Mr Khan, the trust's chairman Lord Davies said: "We are
incredibly sad that we have not been able to make the dream of the
Garden Bridge a reality and that the mayor does not feel able to
continue with the support he initially gave us."

He said the trust had raised £70m of private money towards the project
and had satisfied most of the planning permission conditions.
Offramp
2017-08-14 17:48:37 UTC
Some people have made a lot of money from this chimera.

There is a similarity between the name Lumley and the surname of Lyle Lanley, who sold a Monorail to Springfield in the Simpsons.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-08-14 18:01:45 UTC
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:08:29 +0100, Recliner
Post by Recliner
London's Garden Bridge project officially abandoned
Are you expecting her to Avenge the situation?
Many people will regard the news as absolutely fabulous.

G.Harman
Graham Murray
Sapphire and Steel have been assigned.
Robin9
2017-08-15 09:23:56 UTC
I'm no fan of the Mayor, but I think he's made the right decision.
It's not his fault that all that money was spent for so little, but it
would have been his fault if the scandal had been continued

e27002 aurora
2017-08-15 10:34:29 UTC
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:23:56 +0100, Robin9
Post by Robin9
I'm no fan of the Mayor, but I think he's made the right decision.
It's not his fault that all that money was spent for so little, but it
would have been his fault if the scandal had been continued.
A while back you converted me to your point of view on this one. We
do not need the Mayor, or his bailiwick.
Robin9
2017-08-15 14:15:31 UTC
I'm pleased that at least one other person agrees that it is at best
an unnecessary extra layer of government. At worst, which is wha
we have experienced, it enables people of prejudice to indulge thei
prejudices to the detriment of the orderly functioning of London

The few benefits we have received, like Crossrail, we would probably
have received anyway

2017-08-15 15:04:47 UTC
Post by Robin9
I'm pleased that at least one other person agrees that it is at best
an unnecessary extra layer of government. At worst, which is what
we have experienced, it enables people of prejudice to indulge their
prejudices to the detriment of the orderly functioning of London.
The few benefits we have received, like Crossrail, we would probably
have received anyway.
Yes, that was already in the works, but the mayor fought to keep its budget
intact. However, I don't think we'd have got the Overground and its
expansion without a mayor.
s***@potato.field
2017-08-15 16:00:34 UTC
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:04:47 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin9
I'm pleased that at least one other person agrees that it is at best
an unnecessary extra layer of government. At worst, which is what
we have experienced, it enables people of prejudice to indulge their
prejudices to the detriment of the orderly functioning of London.
The few benefits we have received, like Crossrail, we would probably
have received anyway.
Yes, that was already in the works, but the mayor fought to keep its budget
intact. However, I don't think we'd have got the Overground and its
expansion without a mayor.
I don't have a problem with a mayor per se, but I do have a problem with this
particular major. He's a duplicitous little shit and I wouldn't trust him
further than he could throw Ali Desai.
Spud
Clank
2017-08-16 19:28:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin9
I'm pleased that at least one other person agrees that it is at best
an unnecessary extra layer of government. At worst, which is what
we have experienced, it enables people of prejudice to indulge their
prejudices to the detriment of the orderly functioning of London.
The few benefits we have received, like Crossrail, we would probably
have received anyway.
Yes, that was already in the works, but the mayor fought to keep its budget
intact. However, I don't think we'd have got the Overground and its
expansion without a mayor.
I don't have a problem with a mayor per se, but I do have a problem with this
particular major. He's a duplicitous little shit and I wouldn't trust him
further than he could throw Ali Desai.
To pick just a random person, right?

You really are a horrible little (in every sense which matters, I have no
doubt) racist.
e27002
is Persian, not Pakistani like Mr. Khan.
Clank
2017-08-17 18:33:11 UTC
Post by e27002
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin9
[...]
From the man who wants lots of "white", and only white, immigration to the UK. And, FWIW Mr. Dizaei
is Persian, not Pakistani like Mr. Khan.
What? The only restriction on UK immigration I'd place is that you should
never be allowed back under any circumstances.
Nobody
2017-08-27 16:17:50 UTC
Post by e27002
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin9
[...]
From the man who wants lots of "white", and only white, immigration to the UK. And, FWIW Mr. Dizaei
is Persian, not Pakistani like Mr. Khan.
Strange, Mr Khan was born in Tooting...
s***@potato.field
2017-08-17 09:46:56 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin9
I'm pleased that at least one other person agrees that it is at best
an unnecessary extra layer of government. At worst, which is what
we have experienced, it enables people of prejudice to indulge their
prejudices to the detriment of the orderly functioning of London.
The few benefits we have received, like Crossrail, we would probably
have received anyway.
Yes, that was already in the works, but the mayor fought to keep its budget
intact. However, I don't think we'd have got the Overground and its
expansion without a mayor.
I don't have a problem with a mayor per se, but I do have a problem with this
particular major. He's a duplicitous little shit and I wouldn't trust him
further than he could throw Ali Desai.
To pick just a random person, right?
Not random at all you stupid gimp - Khan worked on Desai's defense when he was
a solicitor along with a host of other obnoxious individuals. He also actively
persued the police for fatuous compensation claims and yet now he sits his
scrawny arse in city hall, in charge of the Met. Why don't you try learning
to use google.
Post by Clank
You really are a horrible little (in every sense which matters, I have no
doubt) racist.
LOL :) Thats the best you can come up with, seriously?! :)

Spud
Paul Corfield
2017-08-17 23:37:32 UTC
London's Garden Bridge project officially abandoned
A £200m plan to build a bridge covered with trees across the River
Thames in central London has officially been abandoned.
An excellent decision and long overdue. The only good bit of news in a never ending cycle of gloom and dispair. The whole thing is a scandal if you've followed the so called procurement and financial approval process within TfL. We don't need another Heatherwick disaster inflicted on this city nor yet more privatised space which has a direct, never ending and uncapped draw on public funds. Now we need to pursue the Trust, its supporters and the former Mayor for the return of £40m. It's a scandalous waste of money that could have been used for a vast range of superior purposes.
via Google
Recliner
2017-10-04 01:25:07 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Recliner
London's Garden Bridge project officially abandoned
A £200m plan to build a bridge covered with trees across the River
Thames in central London has officially been abandoned.
An excellent decision and long overdue. The only good bit of news in a
never ending cycle of gloom and dispair. The whole thing is a scandal if
you've followed the so called procurement and financial approval process
within TfL. We don't need another Heatherwick disaster inflicted on this
city nor yet more privatised space which has a direct, never ending and
uncapped draw on public funds. Now we need to pursue the Trust, its
supporters and the former Mayor for the return of £40m. It's a
scandalous waste of money that could have been used for a vast range of superior purposes.
Some more on Boris "Make me PM now" Johnson's influence over the project:

<https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/former-tfl-boss-points-finger-at-johnson-over-garden-bridge-contest/10023975.article>