2 london bendy buses spotted
Add Reply
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-04-01 16:20:02 UTC
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
DRH
2018-04-01 16:42:57 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-04-03 08:42:10 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
Post by DRH
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Roland Perry
2018-04-03 10:34:52 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by DRH
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
b***@cylonHQ.com
Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
Roland Perry
2018-04-03 11:45:30 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by DRH
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Thats no excuse.
It's a reason, not an excuse.
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
You'd have to close the airport for takeoffs and landings first (because
those fire trucks are on standby for aircraft incidents). I don't know
if the crews are trained, or responsible for, fires within the terminal.
In any event the County should be able to deal with that.

Does sound a bit like this is another fire where the local brigade might
have been better off with a bit of foam rather than water (it took 40
mins to extinguish).
2018-04-03 11:48:15 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
You'd have to close the airport for takeoffs and landings first (because
those fire trucks are on standby for aircraft incidents). I don't know
if the crews are trained, or responsible for, fires within the terminal.
In any event the County should be able to deal with that.
Didn't they close the airport anyway? After that, at least some of
the airside fire appliances should have been available. But, as you
say, they may not be trained for fires in the terminal, though a bus
fire should be well within their capabilities.
Yes
Roland Perry
2018-04-03 11:56:33 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
You'd have to close the airport for takeoffs and landings first (because
those fire trucks are on standby for aircraft incidents). I don't know
if the crews are trained, or responsible for, fires within the terminal.
In any event the County should be able to deal with that.
Didn't they close the airport anyway?
Eventually, but only because PAX were evacuated unscreened from landside
to airside to get away from the smoke, and it took a few hours for the
penny to drop that sorting them back out again in to departing
(re-security screened) and arriving (passport control) wasn't going to
work in what remained of the day.
Post by Recliner
After that, at least some of
the airside fire appliances should have been available.
You'd have need them within minutes (during which flights were
undoubtedly still taking off and arriving), not hours.

Ryanair appears to be claiming that flight operations continued all
evening, which must have meant empty-ish planes taking off, and arriving
pax getting caught up in the melee.
2018-04-03 12:40:24 UTC
The bus was burnt to a crisp.
Roland Perry
2018-04-03 12:47:15 UTC
The bus was burnt to a crisp.
And the terminal only had smoke damage (as far as I can tell).
2018-04-04 18:11:47 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by DRH
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
What are the roads like around the terminal.?
The type of Fire truck used at Stansted is 3metres wide, a typical fire
brigade one is 2.3

I doubt the roads are so narrow that the airside type could not get around
driven carefully but in the excitement of a shout it may not be the best
time to find out. And would they be legal to use on a road that while it is
probably airport property may come under the various road traffic acts
because it is accessible by the public.

GH
David Walters
2018-04-05 08:58:10 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by DRH
[...]
Stansted Airport Fire Service appear to have a normal fire engine as
well as a handful of much bigger airport specific vehicles. Looks tiny
next to them. All appear to have registration plates and up to date VED
so appear legal on the roads.

(I'm not saying they should respond to anything other than aircraft
fires, just that the fleet would appear to be able to from a driving
on the roads perspective. I expect there is more to fighting fires than
arriving in a big red truck and glaring at it.)
Robin
2018-04-05 09:16:55 UTC
<snip>
Post by David Walters
Stansted Airport Fire Service appear to have a normal fire engine as
well as a handful of much bigger airport specific vehicles. Looks tiny
next to them. All appear to have registration plates and up to date VED
so appear legal on the roads.
They need to be "road legal" in order to respond to incidents outside
the airport perimeter using public roads. (I'm not saying they would
always respond. There used to be different procedures for different
airports and some discretion. But it's easy to envisage the outcry if
they sat on their hands for - say - a plane down on the M11 on the basis
that "we're not taxed and insured for that".)
2018-04-04 19:37:11 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by DRH
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
What an exceptionally stupid and offensive comment. Their job is to
watch the landing aircraft. Why would they desert the runways every time
a cat is stuck up a tree in Bishops Stortford?
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-04-05 08:25:55 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:37:11 +0100
Post by Basil Jet
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
What an exceptionally stupid and offensive comment. Their job is to
Offensive to whom, you? Tough, roll your neck in and deal with it.
Post by Basil Jet
watch the landing aircraft. Why would they desert the runways every time
a cat is stuck up a tree in Bishops Stortford?
A huge vehicle fire right outside a terminal building with potentially
thousands of people inside is hardly the same as a cat up a tree you dribbling
window licker.
Basil Jet
2018-04-05 15:37:18 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:37:11 +0100
Post by Basil Jet
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.
Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?
What an exceptionally stupid and offensive comment. Their job is to
Offensive to whom, you? Tough, roll your neck in and deal with it.
No, thicky, offensive to the firemen. They became firemen because they
like putting fires out. They are stationed on the runway. They see a
fire on the other side of the building, but they have to sit tight and
ignore it because, as you have been told countless times, safety
critical jobs have rules that you get fired for breaking. So they will
have been anything but happy at the time, but they have to obey the
rules which are there for the bigger picture, and then you come along
and say they are happy to ignore a fire on the other side of the
terminal. I have no privileged info here but all of this is obvious to
an eight year old, obvious to everyone except you. Actually, it's so
obvious I'm not sure why I bothered explaining it.

I also suspect airport terminals are not very flammable on the outside,
since aeroplanes are basically massive Molotov cocktails being flung
around very carefully.
Recliner
2018-04-05 15:51:08 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:37:11 +0100
Post by Basil Jet
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
[...]
Yes, the Stansted terminal is a typical Norman Foster glass and steel
building.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-04-06 08:27:49 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 16:37:18 +0100
Post by Basil Jet
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Offensive to whom, you? Tough, roll your neck in and deal with it.
No, thicky, offensive to the firemen. They became firemen because they
Is it? Been to ask them have you or are you just another knob getting
offended on behalf of someone else in order to create a non-argument?
Post by Basil Jet
like putting fires out. They are stationed on the runway. They see a
fire on the other side of the building, but they have to sit tight and
ignore it because, as you have been told countless times, safety
critical jobs have rules that you get fired for breaking. So they will
Thats why they have bosses that can override said rules if appropriate.
Post by Basil Jet
terminal. I have no privileged info here
No shit.
Post by Basil Jet
an eight year old, obvious to everyone except you. Actually, it's so
obvious I'm not sure why I bothered explaining it.
You didn't explain anything, you're just another muppet with a Can't Do
approach to life. Did you ever work in the railways by any chance?
Post by Basil Jet
I also suspect airport terminals are not very flammable on the outside,
since aeroplanes are basically massive Molotov cocktails being flung
around very carefully.
No, but I suspect a lot of in the interior furnishings are and smoke doesn't
care either way, it'll still poison and suffocate people.

Christ you really are a full paid up grade A gold plated pillock.
D A Stocks
2018-04-07 10:21:17 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
Brighton and Hove have 20+ ex-London articulated buses. They're used on a
couple of routes between Portslade/Hove and the universities.

DAS
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-04-09 08:40:42 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:21:17 +0100
Post by D A Stocks
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?
Brighton and Hove have 20+ ex-London articulated buses. They're used on a
couple of routes between Portslade/Hove and the universities.
Good to know. Downside is these buses are almost 15 years old and probably
won't last much longer which is a shame as its probably easier and cheaper
to inflict double deckers on the public when replacements are required rather
than buying something suitable instead.