Lancaster Gate reopens
2017-06-27 14:17:45 UTC
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.

"Lancaster Gate has reopened today, eight weeks earlier than planned - a record achievement for the Lifts & Escalator Renewals team.

...We’ve replaced the two 29-year-old lifts completely, including upgrading the interfaces with the station systems, such as fire detection, CCTV, passenger alarms & lift monitoring.... [We] also had the chance to refurbish some areas of the station. This has created a more welcoming environment for customers and staff and will also improve passenger flow with a new, revised gateline layout."

Sounds great! Lancaster Great!
Richard J.
2017-06-27 22:21:02 UTC
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.
"Lancaster Gate has reopened today, eight weeks earlier than planned - a record achievement for the Lifts & Escalator Renewals team.
...We’ve replaced the two 29-year-old lifts completely, including upgrading the interfaces with the station systems, such as fire detection, CCTV, passenger alarms & lift monitoring.... [We] also had the chance to refurbish some areas of the station. This has created a more welcoming environment for customers and staff and will also improve passenger flow with a new, revised gateline layout."
Sounds great! Lancaster Great!
What's enigmatic about Lancaster Gate?
--
Richard J.
Optimist
A useful alternative for Paddington if the H&C not operational.
James Heaton
2017-07-13 20:35:37 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Offramp
Sounds great! Lancaster Great!
What's enigmatic about Lancaster Gate?
A useful alternative for Paddington if the H&C not operational.
Very popular with BT staff who lived west of London when my father worked
for them (he's been gone many years but the office is still in the same
place.)

When my father had to go up to London on business, 6:30ish train from
Cardiff, then walk Paddington to Lancaster Gate, then Central to St Pauls.

Much quicker than Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Central to St Pauls apparently,
and reliable enough for 9:30am meetings in the days when even BT managers
didn't routinely carry mobiles to advise of late arrivals...

James

Roland Perry
2017-06-28 07:45:16 UTC
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.
I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.
Nobody
2017-07-01 23:39:45 UTC
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.
I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.
Oh boy, Mr Perry. I cannot resist an OT smirk.

Do you mean two people... and I'll show you mine if you'll show me
yours?
Roland Perry
2017-07-02 09:39:10 UTC
Post by Nobody
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.
I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.
Oh boy, Mr Perry. I cannot resist an OT smirk.
Do you mean two people... and I'll show you mine if you'll show me
yours?
iirc the venue was perfect if you were expecting about a hundred people
at a time to show up to look at exhibits. The next step up in terms of
size was often the Kensington Close Hotel, also very handy for the tube!
Mike Bristow
2017-06-28 09:51:36 UTC
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used
that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is
that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.
I use it quite often when an onward journey is via Paddington, especially
if the weather is nice.
--
Mike Bristow ***@urgle.com