Liverpool St to New Eltham with luggage
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-11 15:58:59 UTC
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
jhk
John Williamson
2018-07-11 16:22:16 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
Taxi.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
jhk
John Williamson
2018-07-11 16:58:15 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:22:16 +0100, John Williamson
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
Taxi.
Are you paying?
You asked for the best route without specifying a budget.:)
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Recliner
2018-07-11 16:36:12 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
TfL's journey planner says:
Tottenham Hale, Victoria line to Euston
Then Northern Line to London Bridge
Then Southeastern.

It's step-free.

<https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=publictransport&InputFrom=Tottenham+Hale&From=Tottenham+Hale&FromId=1000236&InputTo=New+Eltham+Rail+Station&To=New+Eltham+Rail+Station&ToId=1001205&Date=20180716&Time=1800&AccessibilityPreference=nosolidstairs&Via=>
Roland Perry
2018-07-11 16:48:25 UTC
In message
<1112481084.553019596.011375.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 16:36:12 on Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
Tottenham Hale, Victoria line to Euston
Then Northern Line to London Bridge
Then Southeastern.
It's step-free.
<https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=publictransport&InputF
rom=Tottenham+Hale&From=Tottenham+Hale&FromId=1000236&InputTo=New+Eltham
+Rail+Station&To=New+Eltham+Rail+Station&ToId=1001205&Date=20180716&Time
=1800&AccessibilityPreference=nosolidstairs&Via=>
News to me that either the change at Tottenham Hale (over the bridge
from the southbound GA platform), or at London Bridge, are step-free.

Unless perhaps taking the lift from the Northern Line platforms at
London Bridge to the street, and then re-entering LB National Rail
several hundred yards away from the street.
Charles Ellson
2018-07-12 02:30:18 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
[...]
The latter is the standard route for all on many weekends and late at
night.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-11 16:59:30 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:36:12 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
Tottenham Hale, Victoria line to Euston
Then Northern Line to London Bridge
Then Southeastern.
It's step-free.
<https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=publictransport&InputFrom=Tottenham+Hale&From=Tottenham+Hale&FromId=1000236&InputTo=New+Eltham+Rail+Station&To=New+Eltham+Rail+Station&ToId=1001205&Date=20180716&Time=1800&AccessibilityPreference=nosolidstairs&Via=>
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/TOM/details.html says:

This station is NOT step free in the London bound direction (platform
1). The only access to platform 1 is via stairs or escalator. If you
are travelling towards London and are unable to manage the stairs or
escalators to leave the station, please stay on the train to London
Liverpool Street to continue your journey.
jhk
Roland Perry
2018-07-11 18:33:12 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
I mentioned that earlier.
Escalator is usually OK with luggage.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-11 21:56:54 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 19:38:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
This station is NOT step free in the London bound direction (platform
1). The only access to platform 1 is via stairs or escalator. If you
are travelling towards London and are unable to manage the stairs or
escalators to leave the station, please stay on the train to London
Liverpool Street to continue your journey.
Escalator is usually OK with luggage.
There's one escalator travelling up on the up platform. On the other
side there's only stairs.
jhk
Recliner
2018-07-11 22:30:10 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
This station is NOT step free in the London bound direction (platform
1). The only access to platform 1 is via stairs or escalator. If you
are travelling towards London and are unable to manage the stairs or
escalators to leave the station, please stay on the train to London
Liverpool Street to continue your journey.
Escalator is usually OK with luggage.
There's one escalator travelling up on the up platform. On the other
side there's only stairs.
If Tottenham Hale isn't acceptable, then TfL suggests Liverpool St to
Cannon St using the Circle line, then change to Southeastern.
Roland Perry
2018-07-11 16:31:02 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale)
That sounds like you are coming from the north, and Tottenham Hale isn't
very step-free in that direction. nb step-free means lifts, not level
ground.

I'd go to Liverpool St, from where it ought to be step-free onto the
Circle Line.

To Blackfriars tube, which should then be step-free to the Thameslink
line.

From there to London Bridge, and although a platform change is required
there are both lifts and escalators from the platforms to the [very much
lower] concourse.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-12 22:06:11 UTC
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
jhk
Recliner
Why change at London Bridge? You can get a direct train from Cannon St.
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 07:02:54 UTC
In message
<1162114309.553127636.448262.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 22:35:27 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
Why change at London Bridge? You can get a direct train from Cannon St.
The reason for my recommendation of going via Blackfriars was my greater
familiarity with the step-free change there. (And at London Bridge of
course: lift/very short walk/lift).

Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Jonathan Amery
2018-07-13 08:36:27 UTC
The reason for my recommendation of going via Blackfriars was my greater
familiarity with the step-free change there. (And at London Bridge of
course: lift/very short walk/lift).
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
The tube has a lift up to ground level, but there are then more
stairs to platform level and I have no idea if there's a lift that
covers that last section.
--
Jonathan Amery. Through many dangers, toils and snares,
##### I have already come;
#######'/ And grace will lead me home. - John Newton
Recliner
<http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/london-cannon-street>
Recliner
2018-07-13 08:47:18 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
Why change at London Bridge? You can get a direct train from Cannon St.
The reason for my recommendation of going via Blackfriars was my greater
familiarity with the step-free change there. (And at London Bridge of
course: lift/very short walk/lift).
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-13 09:04:41 UTC
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
jhk
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 09:25:45 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
Blackfriars route looking better then.
2018-07-13 10:00:24 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
Blackfriars route looking better then.
Yes, but only for the return journey. Of course, some people are prepared
to carry luggage down stairs, but not up. Cannon St would be OK for that.
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 11:20:21 UTC
In message
<1921807516.553168659.191006.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 10:00:24 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
Blackfriars route looking better then.
Yes, but only for the return journey.
I usually find it better where possible to retrace my steps, especially
in unfamiliar territory.
Post by Recliner
Of course, some people are prepared to carry luggage down stairs, but
not up.
Only the OP can tell us what his requirement is.
Post by Recliner
Cannon St would be OK for that.
As would Tottenham Hale.
2018-07-13 10:10:57 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
Blackfriars route looking better then.
The problem with Blackfriars is that it has no trains to New Eltham,
necessitating a change at London Bridge. That does have lifts, but surely
it's better to use a Circle line station that connects directly to a
station with New Eltham trains?
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 11:17:10 UTC
In message
<1914594561.553169251.908358.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 10:10:57 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
Blackfriars route looking better then.
The problem with Blackfriars is that it has no trains to New Eltham,
necessitating a change at London Bridge. That does have lifts, but surely
it's better to use a Circle line station that connects directly to a
station with New Eltham trains?
It depends entirely on well the change at Cannon St (now quite fully
described here, apart from whether there's a street-level section
required) complies with the OP's requirements.
2018-07-13 11:29:12 UTC
In message
[...]
The lift from the LU platform goes to the NR station concourse. So, yes,
it’s step-free all the way from Stansted to New Eltham, and has the minimum
changes or walking. There isn’t a better option.
Theo
2018-07-13 09:47:18 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
To throw an alternative into the mix:

Stansted to London (Shoreditch) - National Express A9 bus every 30 mins
Shoreditch High Street to New Cross - London Overground
New Cross to New Eltham - Southeastern

It appears the NX bus stop is outside Shoreditch HS:
http://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/stops/900057878/London_Shoreditch_Street

SHS and New Cross are on the step-free guide:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf
New Eltham station is step-free too.

Depending on whether walking on the flat is OK, an alternative is NX A7 bus
Stansted to Southwark:
http://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/stops/57913_SS/London_Southwark_Southwark_St_Blackfriars_Road
walk about 10 mins along Southwark Street to London Bridge, then
Southeastern to New Eltham.

Theo
Robin
2018-07-13 10:43:59 UTC
On 13/07/2018 10:47, Theo wrote:
<snip>
Post by Theo
Depending on whether walking on the flat is OK, an alternative is NX A7 bus
http://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/stops/57913_SS/London_Southwark_Southwark_St_Blackfriars_Road
walk about 10 mins along Southwark Street to London Bridge, then
Southeastern to New Eltham.
"Lots of luggage" may be an issue: the National Express baggage limit is
2 x 20kg cases + 1 hand luggage.

But if coach is acceptable then there's National Express A9 to Stratford
(which reduces the risk of London traffic gridlock). Then Jubilee to
London Bridge. The (new) stops at Stratford are a bit of a walk from
the Jubilee platforms but lifts available.
2018-07-13 11:23:05 UTC
Post by Robin
<snip>
Post by Theo
Depending on whether walking on the flat is OK, an alternative is NX A7 bus
http://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/stops/57913_SS/London_Southwa
rk_Southwark_St_Blackfriars_Road
walk about 10 mins along Southwark Street to London Bridge, then
Southeastern to New Eltham.
"Lots of luggage" may be an issue: the National Express baggage limit
is 2 x 20kg cases + 1 hand luggage.
But if coach is acceptable then there's National Express A9 to
Stratford (which reduces the risk of London traffic gridlock). Then
Jubilee to London Bridge. The (new) stops at Stratford are a bit of a
walk from the Jubilee platforms but lifts available.
It's quite a hike from the Jubilee to National Rail at London Bridge. I
was surprised how much further it felt after the recent re-build.

And that's without knowing where the end-point is, of TfL's:

"Step-free line interchange requires a 410m journey via street
and lifts."
Charles Ellson
2018-07-13 19:37:30 UTC
Post by Robin
<snip>
Post by Theo
Depending on whether walking on the flat is OK, an alternative is NX A7 bus
http://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/stops/57913_SS/London_Southwa
rk_Southwark_St_Blackfriars_Road
walk about 10 mins along Southwark Street to London Bridge, then
Southeastern to New Eltham.
"Lots of luggage" may be an issue: the National Express baggage limit
is 2 x 20kg cases + 1 hand luggage.
But if coach is acceptable then there's National Express A9 to
Stratford (which reduces the risk of London traffic gridlock). Then
Jubilee to London Bridge. The (new) stops at Stratford are a bit of a
walk from the Jubilee platforms but lifts available.
It's quite a hike from the Jubilee to National Rail at London Bridge. I
was surprised how much further it felt after the recent re-build.
That is mainly for platforms 1-3 where the ramp and end of platform
accesses have been removed. Was that the same for the other through
platforms before rebuilding ? The terminal platforms with end access
are more or less the same distance as before but unless I've missed it
there is no lift between that concourse and the Underground station.
Post by Roland Perry
"Step-free line interchange requires a 410m journey via street
and lifts."
Often (when the vaults are closed off) out onto Tooley Street and hope
that the pavement on the south side isn't boarded off from use again.
Step-free but not trip-free.
Roland Perry
2018-07-14 06:40:52 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin
<snip>
Post by Theo
[...]
My recollection is that there was a semicircular steel staircase between
the tube booking hall and the level above, which was then not very far
from the entrance to the through platforms. Admittedly there was quite a
long ramp up to the platforms.
Post by Charles Ellson
The terminal platforms with end access
are more or less the same distance as before but unless I've missed it
there is no lift between that concourse and the Underground station.
Doesn't the Underground station now lead to a long tunnel with what will
one day be shop fronts, emerging to the [new] main station concourse?
The platforms are high above reached by lifts and escalators.
Jonathan Amery
2018-07-14 11:24:35 UTC
Doesn't the Underground station now lead to a long tunnel with what will
one day be shop fronts, emerging to the [new] main station concourse?
The platforms are high above reached by lifts and escalators.
It does. Some of them are in fact now shops too. Plus a roof leak.
--
Jonathan Amery. I get laziness for free with Haskell
##### so I don't have to think much
#######'/ - Mark Carroll
Charles Ellson
2018-07-15 01:41:30 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin
<snip>
Post by Theo
[...]
The staircase and accompanying pair of escalators are still there but
now only let you get up to the bus station level/front of the station.
The ramps to p1-3 ran from a bit to the left of the top of the
escalotors. IIRC there still quite a few hoardings around the area
between the top of the escalator and stairs but the ramps up to p1-3
now definitely seem to be history; there are some concrete structures
at the western end of the platforms which are possibly emergency
staircases from platforms to street level.
Step-free but not trip-free.
Recliner
2018-07-13 16:06:16 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
The Journey Planner says to change from Southeastern to Thameslink at
London Bridge, then change to the Met/Circle/H&C at Farringdon. That's
quicker, with more frequent trains, than changing at Blackfriars.
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 20:49:13 UTC
In message
<595320089.553190529.407461.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 16:06:16 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
The Journey Planner says to change from Southeastern to Thameslink at
London Bridge, then change to the Met/Circle/H&C at Farringdon.
To go back towards Liverpool St to catch the Stansted Express?

Is that Farringdon change step-free.
2018-07-13 21:18:23 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
The Journey Planner says to change from Southeastern to Thameslink at
London Bridge, then change to the Met/Circle/H&C at Farringdon.
To go back towards Liverpool St to catch the Stansted Express?
It's not going 'back', it's travelling eastbound from either Farringdon (5
stops in all) or Blackfriars (6 stops, and fewer services) to Liverpool St.
More importantly, platform 2 at Liverpool St (inner rail) doesn't have
step-free access.
Post by Roland Perry
Is that Farringdon change step-free.
Yes, by definition, or the Journey Planner wouldn't have come up with the
route. It's one of the key reasons it picked the step-free Farringdon
route, rather than the Blackfriars route, which has steps at Liverpool St.
But even someone who doesn't mind steps would still be better off changing
at Farringdon.
Roland Perry
2018-07-14 07:30:55 UTC
In message
<1413089028.553208767.270521.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 21:18:23 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
In message
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level. I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station (I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I'm flying home from the same airport...
The Journey Planner says to change from Southeastern to Thameslink at
London Bridge, then change to the Met/Circle/H&C at Farringdon.
To go back towards Liverpool St to catch the Stansted Express?
It's not going 'back', it's travelling eastbound from either Farringdon (5
stops in all) or Blackfriars (6 stops, and fewer services) to Liverpool St.
That's a reversal of direction at Farringdon; but I was really checking
to see whether the route continued via Liverpool St, or via Kings Cross
to Tottenham Hale.
Post by Recliner
More importantly, platform 2 at Liverpool St (inner rail) doesn't have
step-free access.
That's a good reason why retracing the "Blackfriars route" won't work, I
agree.
2018-07-13 09:23:11 UTC
In message
<1665124526.553163793.489156.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 08:47:18 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
In message
Post by Recliner
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
Why change at London Bridge? You can get a direct train from Cannon St.
The reason for my recommendation of going via Blackfriars was my greater
familiarity with the step-free change there. (And at London Bridge of
course: lift/very short walk/lift).
Can you describe what it's like at Cannon St?
Both the LU (westbound) and NR platforms are step-free (lifts) to street
level.
LU is step-free to the westbound platform, but not the trains. This may
not be a problem for someone with luggage.
Post by Recliner
I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station
There is a lift on the NR maps, but it's silent whether it goes to just
to street level, or further down. It doesn't map the tube station.
Post by Recliner
(I don't think the eastbound LU platform has a lift, but that's
not relevant to this journey).
I agree the literature reports it doesn't, but as you say, not relevant.
2018-07-13 10:07:53 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station
There is a lift on the NR maps, but it's silent whether it goes to just
to street level, or further down. It doesn't map the tube station.
There's a lift from the westbound LU platform to the NR station.
Roland Perry
2018-07-13 11:23:55 UTC
In message
<1664870532.553168849.324651.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 10:07:53 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Recliner
I believe there's a lift from the westbound Circle directly to the
NR station
There is a lift on the NR maps, but it's silent whether it goes to just
to street level, or further down. It doesn't map the tube station.
There's a lift from the westbound LU platform to the NR station.
OK. For future reference, from whence did you confirm that?
David Cantrell
2018-07-13 10:23:25 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
Blackfriars has completely step-free access and lifts. Cannon Street
doesn't.
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist
Recliner
2018-07-13 10:32:33 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
It looks like it's going to be from Liverpool St to London Bridge.
Both Blackfriars and Cannon St has been suggested as intermediate
stations. Which is best?
Blackfriars has completely step-free access and lifts. Cannon Street
doesn't.
It does from the westbound LU platform, but not the eastbound. So for this
journey, Cannon St is the best choice (step-free, quicker, fewer changes).
On the return, changing at London Bridge to a Blackfriars train would be
better, though slower.
Paul Corfield
2018-07-20 09:43:53 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What is the best route from Liverpool Street Station (or Tottenham
Hale) to New Eltham Station with lots of luggage, on a monday evening?
--
jhk
Having skim read this thread can I just add that there are station rebuilding works at Tottenham Hale at the moment. If you're laden with bags I would NOT recommend changing there. You've already identified the issue of no lifts from the s/b NR platform but you have to negotiate a separate gateline and then a very constrained entrance to the LU station which has NO ticket facilities at the moment.

I recently used T Hale around 2100 in the evening and could barely get out of the ticket hall. This was because a train from Stansted had deposited a huge number of people with luggage and they were all trying to get into the tube. The place was packed and borderline dangerous. I don't know what time you're travelling but I would really, really avoid T Hale if you can. It's likely to be a calmer, less hurried experience for you travelling via Liverpool St where you will have time to get your bags on / off the train and not have to do battle with swarms of people that you get at Tottenham Hale where dwell times for trains are obviously fairly short. The platforms aren't very wide at T Hale either! Doesn't take much to cause a jam - happens every time I get off a train from Stratford.

I would recommend the route via Cannon St (I've not checked the train services) as it seems simpler overall. There is a ramp in the main LU ticket hall at Liv St that brings you down from the level of the main line concourse to that of the LU station.
--
Paul C
via Google
Roland Perry
2018-07-20 10:49:50 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Do you happen to know where the upper end of the lift from the LU
platforms emerges?
2018-07-20 12:50:31 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
It emerges inside the paid area beside the old LU ticket office building. You then have to get through the gates then the narrowed station entrance and down some steps or use a rather long temporary metal ramp. So yes it remains step free from LU train (using the platform humps) to street level at T Hale.

It's the congestion that's my concern. Lots of unfamiliar travellers with baggage struggling with Oyster cards or bank cards or wondering how their ticket works is not a good recipe for efficient station throughput.

T Hale is now so much busier across the entire day than it ever was - lots of new housing nearby and the retail park is always busy. The better Vic Line has generated more usage and the WAML is also a busy railway much of the time. Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy Stansted Express into town.
--
Paul C
via Google
Roland Perry
2018-07-20 13:05:33 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
That sounds like a lift at Tottenham Hale; I was enquiring about the one
at Cannon St :(
Post by Paul Corfield
It's the congestion that's my concern. Lots of unfamiliar travellers
with baggage struggling with Oyster cards or bank cards or wondering
how their ticket works is not a good recipe for efficient station
throughput.
T Hale is now so much busier across the entire day than it ever was -
lots of new housing nearby and the retail park is always busy. The
better Vic Line has generated more usage and the WAML is also a busy
railway much of the time. Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if
his plane lands at a busy time for arrivals at Stansted then he's
likely to be on a busy Stansted Express into town.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he changes at Tottenham Hale
southbound (other than maybe one who initially over-read the stepless
information).
He said Monday evening.
Roland Perry
2018-07-20 15:44:34 UTC
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.

There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
I assume it's the latter, or he'd have said 'night', not 'evening'.
Roland Perry
2018-07-20 16:30:46 UTC
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
I assume it's the latter, or he'd have said 'night', not 'evening'.
Worth checking though. Stansted is well known as an airport where the
train companies can't be bothered to service early and late flights.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-22 22:36:39 UTC
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
It's a direct flight from/to Kristiansand. Here's the timetable:
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
jhk
Roland Perry
2018-07-23 06:23:57 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
5.30pm arrival, so that'll most likely be a 6.30pm train.
No, it's a 17:30 departure, so probably a 18:30 arrival.
Robin
2018-07-23 09:16:25 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
5.30pm arrival, so that'll most likely be a 6.30pm train.
No, it's a 17:30 departure, so probably a 18:30 arrival.
That timetable has times which are suspiciously round, might be aimed at
discouraging late arrivals, and don't quite match the flying time of 2
hours but yes, I'd expect arrival around 19:00.
2018-07-23 09:27:10 UTC
Post by Robin
[...]
Yes, that's an almost perfect guess. The actual departure time of WF372 is
17:55, and arrival time at Stansted is 18:55.

https://aviability.com/flight-number/flight-wf372-wideroe
Robin
2018-07-23 09:37:58 UTC
On 23/07/2018 10:27, Recliner wrote:
<snip>
Post by Recliner
Post by Robin
That timetable has times which are suspiciously round, might be aimed at
discouraging late arrivals, and don't quite match the flying time of 2
hours but yes, I'd expect arrival around 19:00.
Yes, that's an almost perfect guess. The actual departure time of WF372 is
17:55, and arrival time at Stansted is 18:55.
ta for that. But b***** typical: my guesses have never been so good
when it matters - eh football pools, women,...
2018-07-23 10:25:03 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
5.30pm arrival, so that'll most likely be a 6.30pm train.
No, it's a 17:30 departure, so probably a 18:30 arrival.
My bad, I thought "Her kan du lese mer om London" meant something like
"arrival time in London". Google translate next time.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
"Read more about London here"
tim...
2018-07-23 06:52:29 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
do they still have direct flights there?

I thought they stopped either the built the bridge
jhk
tim...
2018-07-23 07:55:10 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
do they still have direct flights there?
I thought they stopped either the built the bridge
after they built the bridge

2018-07-23 08:14:15 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane  lands at a
busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a  busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
do they still have direct flights there?
I thought they stopped either the built the bridge
after they built the bridge
Which bridge?
--
Basil Jet - listening... NEU!. Naked Raygun. Nearly God. Negativland.
Neil Finn. Neil Young. Neils Children. Neroche. Neutral Milk Hotel. New
Organisation. Ornette Coleman. Other Lives. Out Of Focus. Outkast.
tim...
2018-07-23 10:56:40 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Jarle hasn't said when he's arriving but if his plane lands at a busy
time for arrivals at Stansted then he's likely to be on a busy
Stansted Express into town.
He said Monday evening.
That raises other issues, such as: if in the flights returning to
Stansted to go to bed for the night, he'll be traversing London really
rather late.
There aren't many flights from Copenhagen to Stansted, and the evening
Ryanair one arrives at 23:10. Oops. Or the 18:25 arrival is very much
better.
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
do they still have direct flights there?
I thought they stopped either the built the bridge
after they built the bridge
Which bridge?
"The Bridge"

the one in the TV program

more correctly the Øresund Bron

Building it made it possible to link all of the S Swedish rail network with
Copenhagen airport.

Meaning that the international flights from the local airports in the region
became much less viable.

2018-07-23 11:10:06 UTC
[...]
HTH

<https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Kristiansand+Airport,+4657+Kjevik,+Norway/%C3%98resund+Bridge,+Malm%C3%B6,+Sweden/@56.7385977,8.1734187,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46380154809fb62f:0xac0aa9079b1da1c7!2m2!1d8.0837693!2d58.2038303!1m5!1m1!1s0x4653a7023a051afb:0xbc0e93c11c372873!2m2!1d12.8486371!2d55.5706287>
2018-07-23 21:05:38 UTC
[...]
Ah

I had confused it with Kristianstad Airport in Sweden

tim

Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2018-07-23 12:25:42 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
https://www.wideroe.no/krslon
do they still have direct flights there?
I thought they stopped either the built the bridge
after they built the bridge
The bridge from Norway to Great Britain?
--
jhk