So no jubilee line strike after all
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-06-06 09:37:27 UTC
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
Scott
2018-06-06 10:01:38 UTC
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
b***@cylonHQ.com
Emphasis. Look it up.
Scott
Conjunction. Look it up.
b***@cylonHQ.com

As you can see, some words have multiple roles.
Scott
2018-06-06 11:45:45 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
Emphasis. Look it up.
Conjunction. Look it up.
So what?
As you can see, some words have multiple roles.
I don't think politicians and others on the 'Today' programme starting
every sentence with the word 'so' is one of them.

However, I did not mean to have go at you personally, as a helpful
contributor to multiple groups. It was really intended as a societal
observation.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-06-06 11:52:25 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
Emphasis. Look it up.
Conjunction. Look it up.
So what?
As you can see, some words have multiple roles.
I don't think politicians and others on the 'Today' programme starting
every sentence with the word 'so' is one of them.
However, I did not mean to have go at you personally, as a helpful
contributor to multiple groups. It was really intended as a societal
observation.
Just one of many grammatical tics we all use from time to time I suppose.
If you stripped english sentences of all the dead wood and filler you could
probably shorten a lot of them by half.

English stripped of dead wood and filler, could probably shorten by half.
Peter Able
2018-06-06 10:56:22 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
Emphasis. Look it up.
Conjunction. Look it up.
So what?
As you can see, some words have multiple roles.
I don't think politicians and others on the 'Today' programme starting
every sentence with the word 'so' is one of them.
However, I did not mean to have go at you personally, as a helpful
contributor to multiple groups. It was really intended as a societal
observation.
"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"

Just like Train Station :)

PA

---
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-06-06 13:31:29 UTC
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 11:56:22 +0100
Post by Peter Able
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
[...]
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.
Mike Bristow
2018-06-06 19:06:47 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.
Like, that is tots awsome, though.
Mike Bristow ***@urgle.com
Marland
2018-06-06 22:10:40 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Peter Able
"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.
Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
“Know what I mean” , Yes it means you are thick , now piss off.

GH
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-06-07 08:27:13 UTC
On 6 Jun 2018 22:10:40 GMT
Post by Marland
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Peter Able
"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.
Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
“Know what I mean” , Yes it means you are thick , now piss off.
Very true, however in Kyle land saying a whole 4 words in a row makes you
an intellectual. Far better one should end (and often begin) sentences with
"init" in order not to confuse ones peers.
tim...
2018-06-07 12:36:06 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On 6 Jun 2018 22:10:40 GMT
Post by Marland
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Peter Able
"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the
oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.
Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
â?oKnow what I meanâ? , Yes it means you are thick , now piss off.
Very true, however in Kyle land saying a whole 4 words in a row makes you
an intellectual. Far better one should end (and often begin) sentences with
"init" in order not to confuse ones peers.
isn't it spelt innit?

tim
b***@cylonHQ.com
2018-06-07 12:53:57 UTC
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 13:36:06 +0100
Post by tim...
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On 6 Jun 2018 22:10:40 GMT
Somehow I suspect the spelling is flexible.
Robin
2018-06-07 13:08:13 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 13:36:06 +0100
Post by tim...
isn't it spelt innit?
Somehow I suspect the spelling is flexible.
The Oxford English Dictionary admits no alternatives to "innit", but
then it has standards even for such nonstandard words.
2018-06-06 12:57:58 UTC
Post by Scott
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.

It's a shorter version of "I'm glad you asked me that question".
Scott
2018-06-06 13:10:09 UTC
Post by Scott
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.
MIlliseconds surely?
But not as good as, 'What the audience really wants to know is ...'.
Roland Perry
2018-06-06 13:52:08 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Scott
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.
MIlliseconds surely?
It's generally separated from the rest of the answer by a significant
pause.
bob
2018-06-06 16:01:46 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
So what if they do?
So annoying though.
So many people do it, though.

2018-06-08 01:39:56 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
So what if they do?
So predictable.
--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(A-F) ... A Certain Ratio - Adam
& The Ants - Altered Images - Art Objects - Artery - Bauhaus - Blurt -
Indians - Fred Frith
Guy Gorton
2018-06-06 18:26:40 UTC
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 11:01:38 +0100, Scott
Post by Scott
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?
So I think it is a good idea to confuse the bolshevics who have no
idea of the niceties of the English language.
I must confess, I love my native tongue and its miriad ways of
confusing the less fortunate.

Guy Gorton
Robin
2018-06-06 19:53:13 UTC
Post by Guy Gorton
So I think it is a good idea to confuse the bolshevics who have no
idea of the niceties of the English language.
I must confess, I love my native tongue and its miriad ways of
confusing the less fortunate.
So nice of you to illustrate what I assume is one of the countless
variations on, or interpretations of, Skitt's law :)