FastTicket machine at Walthamstow Central?
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-03-14 22:04:40 UTC
What exactly is a FastTicket machine, and does Walthamstow Central
have one? Is it distinct from a regular ticket machine? I seem to
remember from two years ago that new machines were installed for
London Overground.
jhk
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-03-15 01:28:13 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What exactly is a FastTicket machine, and does Walthamstow Central
have one? Is it distinct from a regular ticket machine? I seem to
remember from two years ago that new machines were installed for
London Overground.
I think a variant of them is standard at LO stations. Compare them to tube
station machines. They're very different.
2017-03-15 08:06:50 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What exactly is a FastTicket machine
It's a type of National Rail ticket machine, perhaps the one which first
allowed you to pick up pre-booked tickets.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-03-15 08:52:38 UTC
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:04:40 +0100, Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
What exactly is a FastTicket machine, and does Walthamstow Central
have one? Is it distinct from a regular ticket machine? I seem to
remember from two years ago that new machines were installed for
London Overground.
I've done some digging and found this page:

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/help-and-contact
click on "How do I collect my tickets from a Fast Ticket machine?".

It says:

You no longer need to go to the station selected when making a
booking. You can collect your ticket from any station with a Fast
Ticket machine.

So why did they ask me to select a station?

(I've booked my London vacation and I'm taking advantage of Virgin
Trains birthday offer to do a day trip to Chester. £10 each way. :) ).
jhk
Robin
2017-03-15 10:14:20 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
So why did they ask me to select a station?
I think so as to guard against people assuming they could collect
tickets from a particular (usually local) station only to find that that
station had no ticket machine. That situation used to be common (as I
discovered when in Suffolk a few years ago).
Neil Williams
2017-03-15 10:48:43 UTC
Post by Robin
I think so as to guard against people assuming they could collect
tickets from a particular (usually local) station only to find that
that station had no ticket machine. That situation used to be common
(as I discovered when in Suffolk a few years ago).
Yes, this is why. As it's done online you have never had to go to the
selected station even on the day collection was first introduced.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Theo
2017-03-15 11:49:39 UTC
Post by Robin
I think so as to guard against people assuming they could collect
tickets from a particular (usually local) station only to find that that
station had no ticket machine. That situation used to be common (as I
discovered when in Suffolk a few years ago).
There were also types of ticket machines which were not online - ie the
station had a ticket machine, but of the simplistic 'press the button for
the ticket you want' type. So just having a ticket machine was not
sufficient.

I don't know if any of these survive, or if they are all online now.

Theo
Roland Perry
2017-03-15 12:06:28 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/help-and-contact
click on "How do I collect my tickets from a Fast Ticket machine?".
You no longer need to go to the station selected when making a
booking.
For about ten years.
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
You can collect your ticket from any station with a Fast
Ticket machine.
So why did they ask me to select a station?
To avoid you guessing that your chosen station would have one, turning
up, and finding it doesn't.
Neil Williams
2017-03-15 17:08:47 UTC
To avoid you guessing that your chosen station would have one, turning
up, and finding it doesn't.
Or that it has a machine that isn't online, e.g. the Merseyrail ones.
Making you select ensures you have reviewed the list and chosen a
sensible one.

Neil
--
Neil Williams