Chiswick Park Piccadilly line?
Add Reply
Graham Harrison
2018-06-19 20:46:02 UTC
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.

Where does that leave Chiswick Park? It only has platforms on what
is, today, the Disctrict lines. And what about anyone (probably not
many) who wants to go from Richmond to Ealing change at Turnham Green
given that the Picc only stops at TG at odd times? Inserting TG and
CP stops into the Picc will extend jouurney times.
Recliner
2018-06-19 20:51:51 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park? It only has platforms on what
is, today, the Disctrict lines. And what about anyone (probably not
many) who wants to go from Richmond to Ealing change at Turnham Green
given that the Picc only stops at TG at odd times? Inserting TG and
CP stops into the Picc will extend jouurney times.
I think the District will have new lower level platforms at CP on the
Richmond line, so the Piccadilly won't need to stop there. But I think the
Piccadilly trains going to Ealing Broadway may stop at Turnham Green.
Graham Harrison
2018-06-19 21:25:50 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:51:51 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park? It only has platforms on what
is, today, the Disctrict lines. And what about anyone (probably not
many) who wants to go from Richmond to Ealing change at Turnham Green
given that the Picc only stops at TG at odd times? Inserting TG and
CP stops into the Picc will extend jouurney times.
I think the District will have new lower level platforms at CP on the
Richmond line, so the Piccadilly won't need to stop there. But I think the
Piccadilly trains going to Ealing Broadway may stop at Turnham Green.
Given that Chiswick Park is grade 2 listed (is that just the ticket
hall or the platforms as well?) I would expect "they" would try and
continue to use the ticket hall which could make access from there to
the new platforms "interesting".

I also wonder how they would modify the tube map to show only Ealing
Pic trains stopping at TG.

Here's another thought - insert a set of points between Chiswick Park
and Turnham Green allowing Piccadilly (Ealing) trains to miss out
Ravenscourt Park and Stamford Brook before stopping at TG and CP.

I must stop speculating!
Basil Jet
2018-07-01 19:22:57 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graham Harrison
[...]
The map currently shows that Charing Cross trains call at Mornington
Crescent but Bank trains don't. It uses a different (inferior) visual
metaphor to show that Enfield/Cheshunt trains call at Cambridge Heath
and London Fields but Chingford trains don't. Pick one.
--
Basil Jet - listening to (Ma-Mg) ... Mackenzies - Madness - Madonna -
Magazine - Manchester Orchestra - Manic Street Preachers - Manitoba -
Meursault - MGMT
Richard J.
2018-06-19 22:17:19 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park? It only has platforms on what
is, today, the Disctrict lines. And what about anyone (probably not
many) who wants to go from Richmond to Ealing change at Turnham Green
given that the Picc only stops at TG at odd times? Inserting TG and
CP stops into the Picc will extend jouurney times.
TfL have committed to stop Piccadilly trains at TG once the line has been modernised, meaning when it's got new trains and new signalling. The implication at the time was that *all* Picc trains would stop at TG, but that was before the option emerged of an Ealing Broadway Picc service.
Post by Recliner
I think the District will have new lower level platforms at CP on the
Richmond line, so the Piccadilly won't need to stop there. But I think the
Piccadilly trains going to Ealing Broadway may stop at Turnham Green.
Platforms on the Richmond branch at Chiswick Park have been talked about in the past, but there's very little room for them. The eastbound in particular is very difficult with a double curve and two bridges in the way. Alternatively, if you put the e/b platform west of Acton Lane bridge, you'd have to take land off the Gunnersbury Triangle Nature Reserve.
--
Richard J.
2018-06-20 01:11:54 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Recliner
I think the District will have new lower level platforms at CP on the
Richmond line, so the Piccadilly won't need to stop there. But I think the
Piccadilly trains going to Ealing Broadway may stop at Turnham Green.
Platforms on the Richmond branch at Chiswick Park have been talked about
in the past, but there's very little room for them.  The eastbound in
particular is very difficult with a double curve and two bridges in the
way.  Alternatively, if you put the e/b platform west of Acton Lane
bridge, you'd have to take land off the Gunnersbury Triangle Nature
Reserve.
Last time we had this discussion, I pointed out that there is an unused
underpass for the eastbound track close to Turnham Green station.
Although it's only long enough to carry 2 tracks over it, that would be
all that was needed if the line to Acton Town was becoming a twin-track
Piccadilly-only formation. The unused underpass is visible in Google
Streetview, approximately level with the road called The Orchard.
--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(G-Q) ... Gang Of Four - Gary
Numan - Glenn Branca - Grace Jones - Heaven 17 - Holger Czukay - Japan -
Schaumburg - Public Image Ltd - Pulp
Clive D.W. Feather
2018-06-20 21:10:15 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park?
The last I heard, it would be closed. It's only a 10 minute walk from
Gunnersbury.
Clive D.W. Feather
Richard J.
2018-06-20 22:36:23 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park?
The last I heard, it would be closed. It's only a 10 minute walk from Gunnersbury.
I hope not. If you're expecting Chiswick Park users to use Gunnersbury instead, it would add 30 to 40% to Gunnersbury's passenger load which is already more in the peaks than the station infrastructure can decently handle. The recent growth in the use of Gunnersbury has been fuelled by the business park (confusingly also called "Chiswick Park") that was constructed on the old bus works site.

In order to relieve pressure on Gunnersbury, a long-awaited footbridge is currently being constructed from the business park to Chiswick Park station, and is due to open at the end of this year.

When did you hear that CP would be closed, and was this gossip or is there a documented plan?
--
Richard J.
2018-06-20 22:55:14 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Graham Harrison
There's an article in the June Moder Railways about the new stock
order for the Picc. It suggests that, at some point in the future,
the Piccadilly will take over the Ealing Broadway branch from the
District allowing more District trains to Richmond and Wimbledon.
Where does that leave Chiswick Park?
The last I heard, it would be closed. It's only a 10 minute walk from Gunnersbury.
I hope not. If you're expecting Chiswick Park users to use Gunnersbury
instead, it would add 30 to 40% to Gunnersbury's passenger load which is
already more in the peaks than the station infrastructure can decently
handle. The recent growth in the use of Gunnersbury has been fuelled by
the business park (confusingly also called "Chiswick Park") that was
constructed on the old bus works site.
Are there any plans for a new LO station for the business park? The LO
line passes right by it, and it seems odd that there's no station for the
park, which I think is now complete. It would certainly make it more
convenient for workers and visitors to the businesses in the park.
Richard J.
2018-06-21 16:57:30 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Graham Harrison
[...]
Gunnersbury is just across the road from the southern end of the business park. It's only 1km from there to South Acton and the track is curved throughout, running next to the Gunnersbury Triangle Nature Reserve.

If the West London Orbital line from Hounslow to Old Oak and beyond* is ever constructed, it would use the existing freight line between Brentford and South Acton which passes along the northern boundary of the business park, and there might be space for a new station there (though there are competing advocates of a station at Lionel Road next to Brentford's future football stadium).

*Mayor's Transport Strategy, Proposal 88.
--
Richard J.
Clive D.W. Feather
2018-06-22 21:21:16 UTC
Post by Richard J.
When did you hear that CP would be closed, and was this gossip or is there a documented plan?
Not gossip, but I don't recall the source. Sorry.
--
Clive D.W. Feather