Inside the Vivarail D-Train
2017-07-04 12:56:03 UTC
Toilets in a "Tube" train!

Someone Somewhere
2017-07-04 14:17:16 UTC
Toilets in a "Tube" train!
http://youtu.be/yTdrtRmSUO0
They did mention it 30 seconds before the end, but I wonder how easy it
will be to transition between carriages - D stock could be quite bouncy
- to use the aforementioned facilities, or were they planning on one per
carriage (which would substantially lower the passenger carrying capacity)?
Recliner
2017-07-04 14:20:05 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by Basil Jet
Toilets in a "Tube" train!
http://youtu.be/yTdrtRmSUO0
They did mention it 30 seconds before the end, but I wonder how easy it
will be to transition between carriages - D stock could be quite bouncy
- to use the aforementioned facilities, or were they planning on one per
carriage (which would substantially lower the passenger carrying capacity)?
The toilets can only be fitted in trailer cars, so two-car trains won't
have any, and three-car trains can have one.
Jan-Martin Hertzsch
2017-07-06 05:59:48 UTC
... D stock could be quite bouncy ...
It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.

Perhaps, with the added weight due to the new components,
and the less demanding timetables on overland routes, the
rebuilt trains will run more smoothly.

-jmh
Recliner
2017-07-06 06:33:09 UTC
Post by Jan-Martin Hertzsch
... D stock could be quite bouncy ...
It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.
The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.
Post by Jan-Martin Hertzsch
Perhaps, with the added weight due to the new components,
and the less demanding timetables on overland routes, the
rebuilt trains will run more smoothly.
That may well be so. However, D-trains are much likely to be travelling at
cruising speed than the frequently-stopping D78s did.
s***@potato.field
2017-07-06 08:46:18 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 06:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by Jan-Martin Hertzsch
... D stock could be quite bouncy ...
It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.
The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.
The opposite is true. The longer the wheelbase of a vehicle, the less the
vehicle body vertical angular deflection due to a bump of a given size.
Spud
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-07-06 11:01:03 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Jan-Martin Hertzsch
... D stock could be quite bouncy ...
It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.
The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.
The opposite is true. The longer the wheelbase of a vehicle, the less the
vehicle body vertical angular deflection due to a bump of a given size.
Won't the overhang beyond the bogie centers also have an affect?

Comparing the drawings for S stock at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/66598/response/170252/attach/5/S%20Stock%20information%20sheet%20July%202010.pdf

and the D stock on the list of dimensions at
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Dimensions.htm#Dimensions

The D stock as well as having a greater distance between the bogie
centers also had considerably more from the pivot to the ends of the
vehicle ,that means any bump or dip felt by one bogie before the other
which effectly raise the height at that pivot a little more than the
other one will be amplified by the time it reaches the car end.

G.Harman
s***@potato.field
2017-07-06 11:10:23 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Jan-Martin Hertzsch
... D stock could be quite bouncy ...
It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.
The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.
The opposite is true. The longer the wheelbase of a vehicle, the less the
vehicle body vertical angular deflection due to a bump of a given size.
Won't the overhang beyond the bogie centers also have an affect?
Obviously the longer the overhang from the pivoting bogie the more the floor
will shift up and down. But a shorter wheelbase will amplify it. I suppose
its a case of which has the biggest effect.
Spud
Offramp
2017-07-06 16:26:04 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
Obviously the longer the overhang from the pivoting bogie the more the floor
will shift up and down. But a shorter wheelbase will amplify it. I suppose
its a case of which has the biggest effect.
Brunel would have been baffled by that sentence.

Offramp
2017-07-04 14:38:55 UTC
This post is going vivrail!