Gaps in the Oxford St red wall
2017-04-20 18:47:26 UTC

The number of bus routes on London's Oxford Street has been cut by 40%
ahead of its potential pedestrianisation.

Transport for London (TfL) said 23 London bus routes along Europe's busiest
shopping street will cut or re-routed. TfL said the changes would reduce
congestion and improve reliability.
But it also admitted some customers would need to change buses to complete
their journeys.

The changes to the routes followed a wide-ranging consultation to ensure
services were more closely matched to changing demand.

Buses will be re-routed away from Oxford Street, with some terminating at
Park Lane, Trafalgar Square and Tottenham Court Road. Other bus routes will
be extended to maintain connections.

The bus routes affected include the numbers: 3, 6, 8, 15, 22, 23, 25, 46,
73, 137, 172, 242, 332, 390, 425, 452, C2, N2, N3, N8, N15, N22 and N73.

Tfl said it would start to implement the changes to these routes in the
summer.

In his election manifesto last year, London Mayor Sadiq Khan promised to
remove traffic from Oxford Street by 2020.

A further consultation, likely to include plans to pedestrianise the road,
will launch later this month.

Leon Daniels, TfL's director of surface transport, said: "As our city
changes around us, we need to ensure the bus network changes too. "Making
sure we have the right level of buses in central London is key to keeping
our city moving."

Jace Tyrrell, chief executive of New West End Company, added: "We welcome
Transport for London's proposal to reduce the number of buses across the
West End, which will greatly help reduce congestion and improve air quality
in London's retail heartland."
Offramp
2017-04-20 22:58:04 UTC
A week after it is pedestrianised every sane Londoner will be saying, "Why didn't we do this years ago?"
Basil Jet
2017-04-20 23:26:41 UTC
A week after it is pedestrianised every sane Londoner will be saying, "Why didn't we do this years ago?"
A Londoner in Oxford Street? Is that even allowed?
Offramp
2017-04-21 03:05:40 UTC
A Londoner in Oxford Street? Is that even allowed?
It's because there's an A-bomb in Wardour Street.
Basil Jet
2017-04-21 12:51:02 UTC
A Londoner in Oxford Street? Is that even allowed?
It's because there's an A-bomb in Wardour Street.
Strange town!