Drivers refuse to serve GN&C tunnel to Moorgate due to dust levels
2017-11-07 14:49:43 UTC
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-health-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink-railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-07 15:00:04 UTC
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:49:43 +0000
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-healt
-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink
railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
The haze that can be seen in tunnels via train headlights on many tube lines
would probably be called a serious smog incident if it was above ground.
I'm pretty sure that mixture of brake dust and general shite cannot be good
for the lungs.
Graham Harrison
2017-11-07 16:59:04 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:49:43 +0000
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-healt
-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink
railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
The haze that can be seen in tunnels via train headlights on many tube lines
would probably be called a serious smog incident if it was above ground.
I'm pretty sure that mixture of brake dust and general shite cannot be good
for the lungs.
Do theystill run the tunnel cleaning train and if so how often? Is
the haze worse than when the cleaning was done manually?
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-11-07 22:38:54 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:49:43 +0000
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-
healt-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-tha
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
This needs its own thread!
The haze that can be seen in tunnels via train headlights on many tube
lines would probably be called a serious smog incident if it was above
ground. I'm pretty sure that mixture of brake dust and general shite
cannot be good for the lungs.
Do they still run the tunnel cleaning train and if so how often? Is
the haze worse than when the cleaning was done manually?
The tunnel cleaning train never did the GNCR.
CJB
2017-11-15 10:21:17 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:49:43 +0000
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-healt
-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink
railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
The haze that can be seen in tunnels via train headlights on many tube lines
would probably be called a serious smog incident if it was above ground.
I'm pretty sure that mixture of brake dust and general shite cannot be good
for the lungs.
That's the same type of haze you can see at Camden Tube. Apparently 80% of it is bacteria laden human skin. Probably also there's a fair mix of brake dust and asbestos.

But why does the Victoria line smell so much of dust whereas such as the Bakerloo or Northern doesn't?

But if you really want dust then punch the soft seats on the Bakerloo line.

CJB
Recliner
2017-11-15 10:27:16 UTC
Post by CJB
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:49:43 +0000
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-healt
-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink
railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
The haze that can be seen in tunnels via train headlights on many tube lines
would probably be called a serious smog incident if it was above ground.
I'm pretty sure that mixture of brake dust and general shite cannot be good
for the lungs.
That's the same type of haze you can see at Camden Tube. Apparently 80%
of it is bacteria laden human skin. Probably also there's a fair mix of
brake dust and asbestos.
Not asbestos. Iron and brake pad dust, plus human skin detritus as you say.
Post by CJB
But why does the Victoria line smell so much of dust whereas such as the
Bakerloo or Northern doesn't?
Probably because the Vic is entirely underground, and so the trains can't
pump the dirty air out at the portals.
Offramp
2017-11-15 11:23:23 UTC
Not asbestos. Iron and brake pad dust, plus human skin detritus as you say.
The skin thing is a myth:
"Sometimes a specific percentage of dust is said to be skin, usually about 70 or 80 percent, but unless you’re a moulting bird or reptile very little of your environment is composed of dead body parts.

There are far more common sources of dust pollutants, including animal dander, sand, insect waste, flour (in the kitchen), and of course lots of dirt."
Source: the internet.

David Walters
2017-11-07 17:15:03 UTC
Incidentally, TfL (LO or LU)would probably do a better job of looking after
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pollution-masks-for-train-staff-after-health-concerns-tunnel-runs-past-arsenal-stadium-to-moorgate-station-govia-thameslink-railway-l65gsbkwg?shareToken=13286e9c0815a38ffebe6e572a6c4734>
This needs its own thread!
Interesting. That explains why the platform staff at Moorgate have been
wearing masks for the last month or so.

Most of Moorgate is getting a Crossrail connecting spruce up while the
Great Northern platforms are as abandoned as ever with the never changing
adverts and tiles falling off the walls.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-08 09:39:34 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
This needs its own thread!
Interesting. That explains why the platform staff at Moorgate have been
wearing masks for the last month or so.
Most of Moorgate is getting a Crossrail connecting spruce up while the
Great Northern platforms are as abandoned as ever with the never changing
adverts and tiles falling off the walls.
The indifference the moorgate line is treated with baffles me given that its
packed to the gunwales in the rush hours. I wouldn't be surprised if more
people travel to old street and moorgate on GN than to KX.
Roland Perry
2017-11-08 10:08:35 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
The indifference the moorgate line is treated with baffles me given that its
packed to the gunwales in the rush hours. I wouldn't be surprised if more
people travel to old street and moorgate on GN than to KX.
Given that there's 14tph GN into Kings Cross in the rush hour (several
being 12-car) and only 12tph into Moorgate, I suspect you'd lose that
bet.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-08 10:43:37 UTC
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:08:35 +0000
Post by Roland Perry
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
The indifference the moorgate line is treated with baffles me given that its
packed to the gunwales in the rush hours. I wouldn't be surprised if more
people travel to old street and moorgate on GN than to KX.
Given that there's 14tph GN into Kings Cross in the rush hour (several
being 12-car) and only 12tph into Moorgate, I suspect you'd lose that
bet.
Except the KX trains tend to empty at finsbury park. I suspect the reason
there are more to KX is they simply can't fit any more in the tunnel down
to moorgate.