OT: Kampuchea's versatile articulated vehicles
2017-11-23 13:35:34 UTC
On my recent visit to Kampuchea, I noticed a type of road vehicle new
to me: four-wheel, one-wheel drive, three-axle, articulated vehicles.
They are ubiquitous in both urban and rural areas.

They exist in many shapes and sizes and are used as capacious taxis,
delivery vans, pick-up trucks, etc. They are very versatile, as the
tractor units and trailers can easily be swapped. As taxis, they can
hold up to six people, and as cargo vehicles, they can hold as much as
a Transit van. They are very maneuverable, with a much tighter turning
circle than a London black cab.

What makes them unusual is that the tractor units are actually
ordinary mopeds and motorcycles, with a simple pivot bracket added
over the back seat. The two wheel trailer is easily hooked on, and
then usually padlocked on. Of course, these vehicles are somewhat
underpowered, with only half the wheels braked, so they're only
suitable for the flat lands of Kampuchea; in other countries, tricycle
tuk-tuks are used instead.

Kampuchea also has another form of four-wheel, two-wheel drive,
two-axle, articulated vehicle, as also found in other poor southeast
Asian countries. These are popular in rural areas, where they're known
as mechanical cows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157689974972265
Offramp
2017-11-23 15:35:52 UTC
I don't call it Kampuchea any more. I call it Can'tPutChea.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-11-23 16:59:53 UTC
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:35:34 +0000, Recliner
Post by Recliner
Kampuchea also has another form of four-wheel, two-wheel drive,
two-axle, articulated vehicle, as also found in other poor southeast
Asian countries. These are popular in rural areas, where they're known
as mechanical cows.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157689974972265
I believe Chinese tractor is another name for them probably more used
in wealthier countries as a description as much as anything.
Its not that long ago such machines were manufactured and used here
http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/survivors/trusty-2-wheeled-tractor-register/

I used to cut grass as a youngster using a similar but slightly
smaller machine with a grass cutter attachment while sat behind
trailing on a seat mounted on a roller rather than wheels.
Paid 5 shillings for the lawns and a bit more if other jobs were done
by the owner who was a retired Colonel who had served in the pre
independence British Indian Army.
Bungalow ( appropriately) was full of Indian furniture and what would
be non PC now a couple of elephant foot doorstops.
Had a break for Tiffin middayish and finished just before 4 for
afternoon tea. Often he would then bring out the photo albums showing
life under as part of the Raj in the 1930's

G.Harman