Railway map for iPhone
2017-10-25 16:06:24 UTC
My Zuta national rail map app has stopped working with the latest iOS.
Can anyone suggest a decent national rail map that still works? I don't
even need route planning or any other facilities, just something to
refer to while reading RAIL. Freight lines and junction names would be a
bonus, but stations and formations only would do. TOCs are an
irrelevance, as is the ability to locate my position, because I'll
probably switch that off to save the battery anyway.
So does no-one use one? Or does no-one else have an iPhone?
Graeme Wall
2017-10-25 16:51:07 UTC
My Zuta national rail map app has stopped working with the latest iOS.
Can anyone suggest a decent national rail map that still works? I
don't even need route planning or any other facilities, just something
to refer to while reading RAIL. Freight lines and junction names would
be a bonus, but stations and formations only would do. TOCs are an
irrelevance, as is the ability to locate my position, because I'll
probably switch that off to save the battery anyway.
So does no-one use one? Or does no-one else have an iPhone?
Not heard of it before!
Jeremy Double
2017-10-25 19:23:09 UTC
My Zuta national rail map app has stopped working with the latest iOS.
Can anyone suggest a decent national rail map that still works? I don't
even need route planning or any other facilities, just something to
refer to while reading RAIL. Freight lines and junction names would be a
bonus, but stations and formations only would do. TOCs are an
irrelevance, as is the ability to locate my position, because I'll
probably switch that off to save the battery anyway.
So does no-one use one? Or does no-one else have an iPhone?
I just use a PDF map in the PDF Expert app, but mainly on the iPad rather
than on the iPhone (although I can access the same files on the iPhone). I
don't use a very detailed map, just the PDF version of the European Railway
Atlas by M G Ball. The PDF Expert app allows you to annotate the PDF file,
so you can record the lines done or whatever.

I also use the GB Outdoors app with OS maps to see the surrounding
countryside in more detail when travelling, or to see where I am using my
gps position.
Jeremy Double
Martin Coffee
2017-10-26 09:51:52 UTC
Post by Jeremy Double
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
I sometimes use osmandroid with is Open Street Maps for Android which
provides a rolling map and speed. Except on the Voyagers of course.

Many trains now provide charge points so the mobile power consumption is
less of a problem.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2017-10-26 10:46:37 UTC
My Zuta national rail map app has stopped working with the latest iOS.
Can anyone suggest a decent national rail map that still works? I don't
even need route planning or any other facilities, just something to
refer to while reading RAIL. Freight lines and junction names would be a
bonus, but stations and formations only would do. TOCs are an
irrelevance, as is the ability to locate my position, because I'll
probably switch that off to save the battery anyway.
So does no-one use one? Or does no-one else have an iPhone?
I wasn't aware of such an app existing in the first place! Sounds just the
kind of thing I'd like though...

I've got a similar-ish app for Swiss railways - shows stations, routes and
timetable numbers as an overlay to google maps (no junction names etc but
the lines are geographically accurate). That also claims it's going to
expire when I finally upgrade to iOS11 :(

Is it made by Zuta?
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2017-10-26 20:50:23 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
I've trawled the App Store and found the one I think you're using (by Zuti
rather than Zuta?) - it looks rather good. I also found a UK version of my
Swiss one - by Takashi Irie. However this also expires when I update to
iOS11. As, apparently, do most of my favourite railway-related games... :(

2017-10-26 13:58:26 UTC
This conversation is not showing up on my Zune.