TfL to make half of Berkshire wheelchair accessible
Basil Jet
2017-12-19 15:10:52 UTC
"TfL announced earlier this month that it was taking over the running of
11 stations between Acton Main Line and Taplow from December 10."
"The Elizabeth line is going to transform travel across the capital and
it’s only right that every station will have step-free access."

Are Londoners paying for improvements to Taplow and Burnham?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/new-crossrail-elizabeth-line-hanwell-14052332

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations
tim...
2017-12-19 15:18:24 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
"TfL announced earlier this month that it was taking over the running of
11 stations between Acton Main Line and Taplow from December 10."
"The Elizabeth line is going to transform travel across the capital and it’s
only right that every station will have step-free access."
Are Londoners paying for improvements to Taplow and Burnham?
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/new-crossrail-elizabeth-line-hanwell-14052332
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations
does that mean that freedom pass holders will get free travel all the way to
Taplow?

tim
Basil Jet
Does it mean ghost stations like Iver will be permanently staffed?
tolly57
2017-12-20 09:46:26 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
"TfL announced earlier this month that it was taking over the running
of 11 stations between Acton Main Line and Taplow from December 10."
"The Elizabeth line is going to transform travel across the capital
and it?s only right that every station will have step-free access."
Are Londoners paying for improvements to Taplow and Burnham?
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/new-crossrail-elizabeth-line-hanwell-14052332
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations
does that mean that freedom pass holders will get free travel all the
way to Taplow?
Does it mean ghost stations like Iver will be permanently staffed?
Would be interesting to know where the boundary will be at the
western end of the Elizabeth line?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Basil Jet
Boundary of TfL ownership? I presume Taplow will be it.
Recliner
2017-12-24 00:54:47 UTC
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:23:09 +0000 (GMT+00:00), tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Boundary of TfL ownership? I presume Taplow will be it.
*Ownership* boundary will be near Royal Oak. Station responsibility
will be Taplow (Slough stays with GWR).
Zone 6 is currently West Drayton for Oyster and Freedom Pass
holders, I assume an extension ticket will be required for onward
travel to Reading then?
Freedom Pass/60+ Oyster holders only need a valid ticket of some type
for the extended journey as no touch in/out or stopping of the train
is required at the boundary station. PAYG Oyster needs a touch in/out
at both ends of the journey within the Oyster zones to prevent a
maximum fare being created.
True, but I don't think we know yet how far west the Freedom Pass will run
when the Elizabeth line opens: West Drayton, Taplow, or somewhere in
between? And what zone(s) will the new stations be in for Oyster?
Charles Ellson
2017-12-24 01:13:46 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Boundary of TfL ownership? I presume Taplow will be it.
*Ownership* boundary will be near Royal Oak. Station responsibility
will be Taplow (Slough stays with GWR).
Zone 6 is currently West Drayton for Oyster and Freedom Pass
holders, I assume an extension ticket will be required for onward
travel to Reading then?
Freedom Pass/60+ Oyster holders only need a valid ticket of some type
for the extended journey as no touch in/out or stopping of the train
is required at the boundary station. PAYG Oyster needs a touch in/out
at both ends of the journey within the Oyster zones to prevent a
maximum fare being created.
True, but I don't think we know yet how far west the Freedom Pass will run
when the Elizabeth line opens: West Drayton, Taplow, or somewhere in
between? And what zone(s) will the new stations be in for Oyster?
Based on the current arrangements for FP/60+, "how far" is probably as
far as the GLA regards as reasonable (see also Swanley and Dartford)
to support GL residents going off-patch. West Drayton is the last bit
of the GL conurbation, Iver is in comparative countryside so Langley
or Slough would seem to be natural choices while anything west of
Slough is arguably a trip into the countryside beyond. For paid Oyster
it might be whatever the system can support, maybe in conjunction with
sorting the anomoly which is going to result if/when Watford (Met)
services (zone 7) are diverted to Watford Junction (zone 9 and a bit).
Recliner
2017-12-24 01:34:07 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
I imagine that the FP limit, and probably paid Oyster too, will be Taplow
then.
Post by Charles Ellson
For paid Oyster
it might be whatever the system can support, maybe in conjunction with
sorting the anomoly which is going to result if/when Watford (Met)
services (zone 7) are diverted to Watford Junction (zone 9 and a bit).
It doesn't seem likely that TfL will have any need to resolve than
conundrum any time soon.
tim...
2017-12-24 13:32:05 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
next century you mean?

tim
Charles Ellson
Maybe not even that soon. ;-)
Paul Corfield
2017-12-27 10:39:21 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
Not really a decision for the GLA. It's for London Councils to determine as they co-ordinate the Borough's funding for concessionary travel. Until TfL determine the fare levels that will apply and some sort of demand forecast then the "revenue foregone" can't be calculated. Only then can London Councils determine if the cost can or should be funded. The 60+ Pass is funded by TfL but its availability follows what is set for the Freedom Pass. The fact the FP reaches Dartford and Watford is largely an accident of history. Crossrail is rather different (IMO) and the potential revenue impact (given how high fares are to Reading) greater plus there are issues of perceived fairness - why should London residents gain free travel so far to the west but Berkshire residents get nothing?

The other factor with the 60+ Pass is the growing number of people who are entitled to it and the spiralling cost to TfL. There are huge pressures on TfL's budget to 2020 and beyond so there may be good reason not to expand its coverage and all the attendant cost.

Not sure I understand the earlier comments about "TfL empire building". The transfer of stations between TOCs has been happening since franchising starting. The transfer of some, but not all, stations for stopping services in West London just reflects what has been agreed with the DfT as to what Crossrail will operate. It is noteworthy that the stations that have national rail fare setting rules (Slough, Reading) remain with GWR so they're in charge of pricing for the route. Again no doubt a DfT demand as with other transfers to TfL - Shenfield didn't transfer nor did Cheshunt. In similar vein Dartford remains with South Eastern despite Oyster ticketing eventually being extended there. The stations remaining with GWR also reflect the existence of other rail services (branches) or longer distance trains stopping.

I think all the "mood music" has been that Oyster PAYG / contactless will reach Reading but don't expect any clever "zones" or stuff like that. With the restructured Oyster system each station should be capable of being individually priced rather than grouped as has happened in the past. We may also see some past pricing compromises being removed once the new system is fully operational. I also wonder quite what will happen with daily / 7 day capping and maximum fares given the high fares that apply beyond the normal T/Card boundary. We may see the first signs of fare adjustments in May 2018 when the Heathrow service starts and Oyster / CPC is extended there.
--
Paul C
via Google
Robin9
2017-12-28 13:22:48 UTC
-
[...]
bit).-
[...]
Two points:

TfL's operations also extend to Epping which is way outside
the Greater London Area. Does the 60+ pass extend to Epping?
My Freedom Pass does. It also allows me to go to Cheshunt as
long as I use TfL Rail.

TfL's empire building refers primarily to the ambition to take
control of suburban services in South London, even though
that would inevitably have a huge impact on services from
further afield. It also takes in their determination to have a
major say in the allocation of train paths between Paddington
and Reading. I haven't bothered to keep up, but several months
ago I did come across some blogs where Berkshire commuters
were indignant about TfL's territorial ambitions.

Although instinctively reluctant to be generous to TfL, I do assume
they were not party to Mr. Khan's ludicrous suggestion some time
ago that he should take over the Southern services as he had
some magical mediating skills which could resolve the dispute
over guards.
Robin9
Paul Corfield
2017-12-28 18:16:58 UTC
Post by Robin9
[...]
As I made clear there are is some validity that stretches beyond the GL boundary for longstanding historical reasons. Freedom Passes have been valid to Dartford for a very long time and long before PAYG was extended there and without TfL having any say in the train service that reaches Dartford.

Places like the Watford line have long had LT / LU / TfL involvement by virtue of former through working of services. Those arrangements have been refined where TfL have subsequently been granted specification / procurement rights for some of the rail services. I assume TfL and London Councils have reached agreement that the current F Pass can stretch to these cross boundary points as usual volumes are very low and revenue foregone is similarly low and not material to the overall funding settlement. With Crossrail to the west we face a rather different situation as the fare revenue foregone could be high if even moderate numbers were to use a "free" pass given the much higher fares to places like Twyford and Reading.

I am afraid I am going to be my usual picky self and say it is not TfL that have the "empire building ambitions". It is Mayors from the two main parties that have held such ambitions because the Mayoralty has been granted a wider area of influence over rail services. They do this for the obvious reasons of power and influence plus a belief they can secure better services. The revenue would also be a nice add on to TfL's coffers. TfL only ever does what the Mayor requires which is why we have monstrous NB4L buses, a pointless cable car and why Ken Livingstone annoyed generations of bus loons by scrapping Routemasters. TfL implemented those Mayoral policies regardless of the wider issues. Just read the transcripts from the recent Garden Bridge investigation where both Peter Hendy and Mike Brown explain precisely how things work in the current structure. The only stuff that *has* to get done is what is in Mayoral manifestos. The fact a transport service also operates 364 days a year is incidental.

It is worth pointing out that courtesy of Heathrow Airport acting like an extortion racket over access to Heathrow via their rail tunnels that TfL, City Hall and the DfT all ended up on the same page over Crossrail issues in West London. Now that a settlement has been reached over Heathrow access it is notable that what followed is an outbreak of agreement between the Mayoralty and the DfT about granting extra running rights to Reading. This seemingly worked to DfT's satisfaction or else why on earth would a Grayling led DfT ever concede anything to a Labour run City Hall? He has plenty of form for blocking every rail devolution idea the current Mayor has had (even the ludicrous one you cite re Southern). I would also argue that if you rip funding away from TfL as George Osborne did then what on earth do you expect people to do to fill the gap? They will naturally look for opportunities to add services and responsibilities that allow new revenues to be gained and new sources of investment funding to be drawn on. That (IMO) partly sits behind the long held desire to take on South London's suburban rail network and also in wanting to run a much higher service level on Crossrail than originally envisaged. It all boils down to power and ££££s.
--
Paul C
via Google
Clank
2017-12-28 20:01:41 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Robin9
[...]
I know you hate them, but I'm genuinely baffled why. I suspect
that the man who introduced them plays an undue influence.

I was on the 38 yesterday, and thought it was genuinely excellent.
As a tall person I find the upper deck much better than
'traditional' London double deckers (insomuch as I don't whack my
head on the roof trying to find a seat), and the rear stairs &
door are much more convenient than "fighting with passengers on
the way up when you want to get off" that is normal in a regular
London double decker.

Oh, and the climate was fine.

What is your problem with them? On the two days a year that
London experiences warm weather I never found the existing bus
stock particularly wonderful, so I'm not buying "they're
sometimes warm"...

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Paul Corfield
2017-12-29 15:58:32 UTC
Post by Clank
I know you hate them, but I'm genuinely baffled why. I suspect
that the man who introduced them plays an undue influence.
I was on the 38 yesterday, and thought it was genuinely excellent.
As a tall person I find the upper deck much better than
'traditional' London double deckers (insomuch as I don't whack my
head on the roof trying to find a seat), and the rear stairs &
door are much more convenient than "fighting with passengers on
the way up when you want to get off" that is normal in a regular
London double decker.
Oh, and the climate was fine.
What is your problem with them? On the two days a year that
London experiences warm weather I never found the existing bus
stock particularly wonderful, so I'm not buying "they're
sometimes warm"...
The simple answer is that they make me ill. Don't know why specifically but I have ended up feeling exhausted and having a thumping headache when using them in the early days. I am not prone to headaches so if I get one it's an unusual event. The weather was not exceptional on any day in question. No other bus in the *world* (and I've travelled on plenty) has the same effect. Heck I even survived crossing the Channel twice in one day in very stormy conditions without being seasick and I loathe ferry travel. To my mind that pretty much proves I am not prone to travel sickness so why the NB4L affects me physically I don't know but it does.

The fact that so much money was splashed on something that is a reflection of Boris's monstrous ego certainly doesn't help my opinion of them but it is not the main reason why I refuse to travel on NB4Ls. Why would I use a bus that makes me ill? Simple answer - I don't and it's one reason why my bus use and visits to Central London have declined markedly. I await the day when they start being withdrawn and are replaced with something decent. I know that's at least a decade away and that's fine. I know people like them and others hate them - that's fine too.
--
Paul C
via Google
Recliner
2017-12-29 22:49:56 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Clank
[...]

I'm sure you'll be thrilled at this bit of news:

"William Wright, of Ballymena-based Wrightbus - the company behind the new
London Routemaster double-decker - is knighted for services to the economy
and bus industry."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42504660
Paul Corfield
2017-12-31 10:19:39 UTC
Post by Recliner
"William Wright, of Ballymena-based Wrightbus - the company behind the new
London Routemaster double-decker - is knighted for services to the economy
and bus industry."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42504660
Not terribly bothered to be honest. Wrightbus have made a lot of very decent vehicles over the years and have developed a decent business. They have had an awful lot of state support too but that's not exactly unusual in NI.

If Wrightbus hadn't made the NB4L someone else would. It was a political construct not a bus industry initiative.
--
Paul C
via Google
Recliner
2017-12-31 12:46:58 UTC
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:19:39 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Recliner
"William Wright, of Ballymena-based Wrightbus - the company behind the new
London Routemaster double-decker - is knighted for services to the economy
and bus industry."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42504660
Not terribly bothered to be honest. Wrightbus have made a lot of very decent vehicles over the years and have developed a decent business. They have had an awful lot of state support too but that's not exactly unusual in NI.
If Wrightbus hadn't made the NB4L someone else would. It was a political construct not a bus industry initiative.
Weren't there a lot of build problems with them? The engines were
running almost all the time as the batteries weren't getting charged,
the air-cooling didn't, etc.
b***@cylonHQ.com
The air con always was flakey. Perhaps its something to do with that?
Robin
2017-12-30 11:00:10 UTC
On 29/12/2017 15:58, Paul Corfield wrote:
<snip>
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Is it possible you are allergic to something used in the construction of
the buses or given off by it (possibly something not even specified by
Boris such as the paint)? And that that something might now have
dissipated? One way way to test this would be for you to travel on old
NB4Ls a few times - although it would not be possible to eliminate the
effects of your views on the bus without making it impossible for you to
tell when you were on one and when on another bus. Would blindfold, ear
protectors and thick mitts suffice?

If you would then need a travelling companion we may struggle to set up
a double-blind experiment, but let's not make the best the enemy of the
good :)
--
Robin
Paul Corfield
2017-12-31 10:27:32 UTC
Post by Robin
Is it possible you are allergic to something used in the construction of
the buses or given off by it (possibly something not even specified by
Boris such as the paint)? And that that something might now have
dissipated? One way way to test this would be for you to travel on old
NB4Ls a few times - although it would not be possible to eliminate the
effects of your views on the bus without making it impossible for you to
tell when you were on one and when on another bus. Would blindfold, ear
protectors and thick mitts suffice?
If you would then need a travelling companion we may struggle to set up
a double-blind experiment, but let's not make the best the enemy of the
good :)
I don't know about allergies. I'm not knowingly allergic to anything but you may be correct. I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
--
Paul C
via Google
Neil Williams
2018-01-01 14:18:28 UTC
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:27:32 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
Post by Paul Corfield
I don't know about allergies. I'm not knowingly allergic to anything but you may be correct. I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
FWIW I have noticed feeling a bit yuck on occasions on brand new buses
and trains (and cars) of various types. It's not unusual for plastics
to give off more nasty vapours in the first few months (e.g.
formaldehyde), possibly you're sensitive to that and wouldn't get the
effect if you used one now.

The other thing that does that to me is newly installed laminate
flooring or MDF (but not once it's been down a month or two and the
vapour has reduced markedly). When installing it (which involves even
more being given off as it is cut) I get a noticeably tight throat,
too.

Neil
Recliner
2018-01-01 15:43:42 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps Paul used them when they first came in, when
the ventilation was apparently poor, felt unwell, and has steered clear of
them ever since?
Paul Corfield
2018-01-02 11:18:55 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Well yes and no. The utter nightmare journey was on a 24 in the early days. However I have since had to use one on the N73 which was as stuffy as hell with steamed up windows at 0400, albeit on a Summer morning. Still it wasn't actually stifflingly hot outside. The N279 I caught beforehand was perfectly comfortable to use. Also had to take a short trip on a 453, long after they were new, and that was dreadful too.

I know via social media, assuming people are telling the truth, that a fair number of other people also have issues with NB4Ls. They complain about the smell, discomfort, nausea and lack of ventilation and that is NOT on the very hot days we get when far more people complain about the conditions on NB4Ls. I've travelled on other new buses and not had the same reaction to them. So a nice theory but I'm not sure it works consistently.
--
Paul C
via Google
Robin
2018-01-01 17:27:04 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
But the blindfold etc was only to seek scientific rigour. It'd be in
the public interest: eg it might lead to the discovery of the "Corfield
NB4L Effect" so you and others don't suffer it in future designs; and so
your name would be forever associated with the bus ;)
--
Robin
DRH
I was on one of the new Enviro/BYD buses on the 360 recently, and noticed it had rather a "plasticky" smell. Not unpleasant but it might give over-sensitive people "a touch of the vapours".
Paul Corfield
2018-01-02 11:05:52 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
But the blindfold etc was only to seek scientific rigour. It'd be in
the public interest: eg it might lead to the discovery of the "Corfield
NB4L Effect" so you and others don't suffer it in future designs; and so
your name would be forever associated with the bus ;)
I admire your desire to keep "twisting the knife" over my dislike of NB4Ls. Remind me what I've done to deserve such "special treatment"? Have I inadvertently killed your cat or something? ;-)
--
Paul C
via Google
tim...
2018-01-02 11:52:30 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional
anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise"
but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
But the blindfold etc was only to seek scientific rigour. It'd be in
the public interest: eg it might lead to the discovery of the "Corfield
NB4L Effect" so you and others don't suffer it in future designs; and so
your name would be forever associated with the bus ;)
I admire your desire to keep "twisting the knife" over my dislike of
NB4Ls.
well it is rather weird of you to say "they make me ill"

tim
Basil Jet
2018-01-02 16:34:56 UTC
Not if they make him ill.
Paul Corfield
2018-01-04 21:59:37 UTC
Post by tim...
well it is rather weird of you to say "they make me ill"
Eh? I have explained that they give me headaches and make me feel nauseous. I am not normally prone to either condition or travel sickness more generally. What more needs to be said? Nothing remotely weird about that. No stranger than people who can't sit in rearward facing seats in trains and buses because it makes them feel ill / sick.
--
Paul C
via Google
Robin
2018-01-02 14:19:04 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
But the blindfold etc was only to seek scientific rigour. It'd be in
the public interest: eg it might lead to the discovery of the "Corfield
NB4L Effect" so you and others don't suffer it in future designs; and so
your name would be forever associated with the bus ;)
I admire your desire to keep "twisting the knife" over my dislike of NB4Ls. Remind me what I've done to deserve such "special treatment"? Have I inadvertently killed your cat or something? ;-)
I am sorry I have come across that way to you. It was not my intention
to do anything more than underline the possibility that it was a
_temporary_ issue with materials in _new_ NB4Ls, albeit one possibly
exacerbated by your dislike of them. But I doubt that there's any more
I can do now (short of yubitsume or seppuku) to change your mind.
--
Robin
Clank
2018-01-02 18:59:25 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)
But the blindfold etc was only to seek scientific rigour. It'd be in
the public interest: eg it might lead to the discovery of the "Corfield
NB4L Effect" so you and others don't suffer it in future designs; and so
your name would be forever associated with the bus ;)
I admire your desire to keep "twisting the knife" over my dislike of NB4Ls. Remind me what I've done to deserve such "special treatment"? Have I inadvertently killed your cat or something? ;-)
I don't know about Robin, but if you killed my cat I'd have you
run over by a NB4L.

And buried in a casket lined with Boris Bus seat upholstery.

Buried on the banks of the Thames.

As the foundation stone of a reborn Garden Bridge. The Paul
Corfield Memorial Garden Bridge.

With Boris himself reading the eulogy. "It's what he would have
wanted", he'll say, as he draws back the curtains on the Paul
Corfield Memorial Stone in the shape of a NB4L. And then bounds,
in inimitable Boris style, onto the rear platform of the
inaugural PC1 "Garden Bridge" bus service.

And for all time to come, people will be heard to say, "I've no
idea who that Corfield chap was, but he must have really loved
Boris Buses."

Don't touch the cat.

;-)

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Paul Corfield
2018-01-04 22:02:38 UTC
Post by Clank
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Thank goodness I'm just a nobody who would never generate sufficient attention to warrant such appalling memorials.
--
Paul C
via Google
Neil Williams
2018-01-01 14:16:08 UTC
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 07:58:32 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
Post by Paul Corfield
The simple answer is that they make me ill. Don't know why specifically but I have ended up feeling exhausted and having a thumping headache when using them in the early days. I am not prone to headaches so if I get one it's an unusual event. The weather was not exceptional on any day in question. No other bus in the *world* (and I've travelled on plenty) has the same effect. Heck I even survived crossing the Channel twice in one day in very stormy conditions without being seasick and I loathe ferry travel. To my mind that pretty much proves I am not prone to travel sickness so why the NB4L affects me physically I don't know but it does.
I do wonder why that is when they aren't really any different in a
practical sense to any other hybrid double-decker, they just have a
fancy body.
Post by Paul Corfield
The fact that so much money was splashed on something that is a reflection of Boris's monstrous ego certainly doesn't help my opinion of them but it is not the main reason why I refuse to travel on NB4Ls. Why would I use a bus that makes me ill? Simple answer - I don't and it's one reason why my bus use and visits to Central London have declined markedly. I await the day when they start being withdrawn and are replaced with something decent. I know that's at least a decade away and that's fine. I know people like them and others hate them - that's fine too.
Yes, they were certainly too expensive, but that one thing aside I
like them because they give bus travel character and personality -
anything that promotes it well is a good thing. The E300 City is a
very good example of how it perhaps should have been done at a more
reasonable price.

Neil
Roland Perry
2017-12-28 20:50:58 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
It is worth pointing out that courtesy of Heathrow Airport acting like
an extortion racket over access to Heathrow via their rail tunnels
Heathrow did actually pay for the tunnels to be built, so all they are
doing is getting some of their investment back.
Roland Perry
e27002 aurora
So Taplow is within the GLA's bailiwick, bur Watford is not!
Basil Jet
Watford High Street station is.
Charles Ellson
2017-12-28 21:02:23 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
"TfL announced earlier this month that it was taking over the running
of 11 stations between Acton Main Line and Taplow from December 10."
"The Elizabeth line is going to transform travel across the capital
and it?s only right that every station will have step-free access."
Are Londoners paying for improvements to Taplow and Burnham?
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/new-crossrail-elizabeth-line-hanwell-14052332
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations
does that mean that freedom pass holders will get free travel all the
way to Taplow?
Does it mean ghost stations like Iver will be permanently staffed?
Would be interesting to know where the boundary will be at the
western end of the Elizabeth line?
Boundary of TfL ownership? I presume Taplow will be it.
So Taplow is within the GLA's bailiwick, bur Watford is not!
No, the services operated by TfL are. The GLA has no direct ownership
or responsibility of the infrastructure.
Post by Basil Jet
Watford High Street station is.
.. in Hertfordshire as is any part of the DC/WCML north of the county
boundary between Hatch End and Carpenders Park.
There is nothing new about local government bodies (in this case TfL)
having responsibilities outwith their boundaries, the main prior
railway example being the Metropolitan Line past the boundary north of
Northwood. Long-standing non-railway examples include the City of
London with parks and housing outwith the capital or in pre-NHS days
many county hospitals located in neighbouring counties.
Graeme Wall
2017-12-28 12:50:21 UTC
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
<https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2247.html>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
tim...

tim
Graeme Wall
2017-12-28 14:51:32 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
That neither are actually in the GLA's bailiwick.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-12-29 00:56:33 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by tim...
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by tim...
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations
does that mean that freedom pass holders will get free travel all
the way to Taplow?
Does it mean ghost stations like Iver will be permanently staffed?
Would be interesting to know where the boundary will be at the
   western end of the Elizabeth line?
Boundary of TfL ownership? I presume Taplow will be it.
So Taplow is within the GLA's bailiwick, bur Watford is not!
<https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2247.html>
which proves what?
That neither are actually in the GLA's bailiwick.
To be precise, that West Drayton is the last GW station within Greater
London and Iver the first station outside.
Colin Rosenstiel
tim...
2017-12-29 10:54:58 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by tim...
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by e27002 aurora
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tolly57
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
the land around may not be

but according to reports, the railway station operation is

Surely that's the point of discussion in a transport group

tim
Robin9
2017-12-20 11:33:39 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
"TfL announced earlier this month that it was taking over the runnin
of
11 stations between Acton Main Line and Taplow from December 10."
"The Elizabeth line is going to transform travel across the capital an
it’s
only right that every station will have step-free access."
Are Londoners paying for improvements to Taplow and Burnham?
'New Crossrail Elizabeth line: Hanwell station to benefit fro
step-free access and refurbished entrances ahead of railway launch - Ge
West London' (http://tinyurl.com/yc9qlwzh)
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tfl-managed-stations-
does that mean that freedom pass holders will get free travel all th
way to
Taplow?
tim
No, it just means that TfL's empire building expansionism is
still in progress

--
Robin9