OT: A Break for Taxpayers at Tourist Magnet
2017-04-09 13:58:06 UTC
I was thinking of going to St Paul's Cathedral to have a look around, so I had a look at how much a ticket is. It's £18, which isn't bad. But there is a bonus for UK taxpayers:
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the Cathedral or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be helping to support and maintain this great building."

That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
Recliner
2017-04-09 14:05:00 UTC
I was thinking of going to St Paul's Cathedral to have a look around, so
I had a look at how much a ticket is. It's £18, which isn't bad. But
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the
Cathedral or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over
a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be
helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
Yes, that is a good idea, and I've not come across it elsewhere, though
some tourist attractions do sell discounted tickets to local residents.
Roland Perry
2017-04-09 14:49:22 UTC
In message
<2031447609.513439551.198770.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-sept
ember.org>, at 14:05:00 on Sun, 9 Apr 2017, Recliner
I was thinking of going to St Paul's Cathedral to have a look around, so
I had a look at how much a ticket is. It's £18, which isn't bad. But
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the
Cathedral or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over
a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be
helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
Yes, that is a good idea, and I've not come across it elsewhere, though
some tourist attractions do sell discounted tickets to local residents.
It's commonplace at museums (and let's face it, that's what St Pauls
is).
2017-04-09 14:55:20 UTC
In message
[...]
Lots of museums sell tickets valid for unlimited re-entry over the next 12
months, but I've not seen it limited to Gift Aid tickets.
Clive Page
2017-04-09 22:32:50 UTC
In message
[...]
It's indeed common because the tax rules changed a couple of years ago.
To be able to claim gift-aid the charitable body must either charge more
for gift-aided admission than for standard admission or sell the
customer a 12-month season ticket. On the whole National Trust and
English Heritage places seem to do the former, while a lot of
independent institutions do the latter.
Clive Page
David C
2017-04-10 10:02:59 UTC
Post by Clive Page
Post by Roland Perry
In message
[...]
The East Anglia Transport Museum near Lowestoft do the latter too.
(On Topic, 'cos they have a working London tram + Trolleybuses.)....

On some of their "Special" Open Days they offer free bus rides around
the locality, using some of the visiting buses.

DC

---

Richard J.
2017-04-09 15:09:08 UTC
I was thinking of going to St Paul's Cathedral to have a look around, so
I had a look at how much a ticket is. It's £18, which isn't bad. But
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the
Cathedral or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over
a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be
helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
Yes, that is a good idea, and I've not come across it elsewhere, though
some tourist attractions do sell discounted tickets to local residents.
A number of tourist attractions do offer (a) 12-month validity at no
extra charge, and (b) Gift Aid, but I don't think I've seen the 12-month
validity linked to Gift Aid before. I disagree with that link. Just
because you're a taxpayer, you get 12-month validity. But if your
income is below the level at which you pay income tax, you have to pay
for every visit. Not a good idea, IMHO.
--
Richard J.
2017-04-09 15:23:15 UTC
Post by Richard J.
A number of tourist attractions do offer (a) 12-month validity at no
extra charge, and (b) Gift Aid, but I don't think I've seen the 12-month
validity linked to Gift Aid before. I disagree with that link. Just
because you're a taxpayer, you get 12-month validity. But if your
income is below the level at which you pay income tax, you have to pay
for every visit. Not a good idea, IMHO.
Your argument is sound in principle but may be mitigated in practice
given the terms of the Gift Aid promotion offer include "You may
alternatively make your admission a donation to St Paul’s without Gift
Aiding it and still receive 12 months free entry at no extra charge".
Much then depends on the extent to which that is made visible when
buying tickets - online or at the cathedral.
Richard J.
2017-04-09 17:43:29 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Richard J.
A number of tourist attractions do offer (a) 12-month validity at no
extra charge, and (b) Gift Aid, but I don't think I've seen the 12-month
validity linked to Gift Aid before. I disagree with that link. Just
because you're a taxpayer, you get 12-month validity. But if your
income is below the level at which you pay income tax, you have to pay
for every visit. Not a good idea, IMHO.
Your argument is sound in principle but may be mitigated in practice
given the terms of the Gift Aid promotion offer include "You may
alternatively make your admission a donation to St Paul’s without Gift
Aiding it and still receive 12 months free entry at no extra charge".
Much then depends on the extent to which that is made visible when
buying tickets - online or at the cathedral.
Well spotted. It's certainly very well hidden online, right at the end
of a page with the headline "Gift Aid your admission and you will be
granted 12 months free admission to the Cathedral" which clearly implies
that the 12-month deal is dependent on Gift Aid. That is deliberately
misleading, especially as a person on a low income would have no reason
to follow a link about Gift Aid.
--
Richard J.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-04-09 16:38:51 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 16:09:08 +0100, "Richard J."
Post by Richard J.
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
Yes, that is a good idea, and I've not come across it elsewhere, though
some tourist attractions do sell discounted tickets to local residents.
A number of tourist attractions do offer (a) 12-month validity at no
extra charge, and (b) Gift Aid, but I don't think I've seen the 12-month
validity linked to Gift Aid before. I disagree with that link. Just
because you're a taxpayer, you get 12-month validity. But if your
income is below the level at which you pay income tax, you have to pay
for every visit. Not a good idea, IMHO.
I think by the rules that Gift aid schemes come under you have the
right to make a donation without the gift aid element and still get
the 12 months admission.
It's the conversion from an admittance fee to a donation that triggers
it. Organizations cannot claim anything back via the gift aid scheme
if it is not a "Gift" which an admission fee cannot be.
Don't know what the particular situation at St Paul's is but some
places will charge x cost for admission and then if a gift element of
at least 10% is added the rules allow the organization to claim on the
whole amount.
This can make the up front cost to the visitor a little more than the
admission ticket alone whose lower figure is not always made obvious.
The 12 month period makes the higher figure including the donation
more attractive, though I bet 90% of visitors don't use it again and
would have been better off asking about the cost without the gift aid
donation which is almost forced on people.

These charities though know people in a queue don't like asking in
front others it makes them look like miserable tight buggers and get
away with it, Now charities on the whole do things that may not be
done by others but when you get to the large ones remember that they
are run by business minded people who are usually on a good salary but
have got themselves a position where not only a good number of their
subordinates are on minimum wage but quite legally another sector of
the workforce isn't being paid at all and are doing tasks voluntary.

G.Harman
Robin
2017-04-09 17:31:45 UTC
On 09/04/2017 17:38, damduck-***@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
<snip>
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Don't know what the particular situation at St Paul's is but some
places will charge x cost for admission and then if a gift element of
at least 10% is added the rules allow the organization to claim on the
whole amount.
This can make the up front cost to the visitor a little more than the
admission ticket alone whose lower figure is not always made obvious.
The 12 month period makes the higher figure including the donation
more attractive, though I bet 90% of visitors don't use it again and
would have been better off asking about the cost without the gift aid
donation which is almost forced on people.
AIUI the 12 months route to gift aid is separate from the "10% more"
route. That is, donations can qualify for gift aid if they are _either_
10% more than the normal admission fee _or_ allow admission for at least
12 months. And as I read it, the donation for the 12 months doesn't
have to be higher than the "ordinary" admission. But they do have to
offer the 12 months admission for the same price to people who don't
gift aid the donation. I don't know if St Paul's use that option to
offer 12 months for the same price as one.

And some other places using the "12 months" route are Canterbury
Cathedral and the Viking centre in York.
2017-04-09 15:16:55 UTC
I was thinking of going to St Paul's Cathedral to have a look around, so I
had a look at how much a ticket is. It's £18,
to look around a church

I think it is

Windsor Castle, a far more substantial site 20.50
Post by Offramp
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the Cathedral
or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over
a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be
helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
many offer similar deals

Which ones?
tim...
Windsor Castle
Recliner
2017-04-09 22:08:02 UTC
Post by Offramp
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul’s when you purchase your tickets both at the Cathedral
or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's over
a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you will be
helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of
tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
many offer similar deals
Which ones?
Windsor Castle
Perhaps I've misunderstood, but the Windsor scheme seems to work in a
different way, with no mention of Gift Aid. You buy a one-day ticket in the
normal way, but need to ask that it be stamped during the visit. That
converts it into a donation, and allows for re-entry for 12 months.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/1-year-pass#/
burfordTjustice
2017-04-09 15:30:43 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 06:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
Post by Offramp
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot
of tax.
WTF, the government knows best and has determined you need to pay
this much in taxes, for now.

More is coming within 12 months. Just be a good citizen and
STFU and pay up with a smile.
Peter Johnson
2017-04-09 19:07:40 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 06:58:06 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
Post by Offramp
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot of tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
There will be quite a number, because it's in their interests to do
it. Not all will give 12 months' free admission, though. The Talyllyn
Railway gives discount vouchers for purchases in the shop or cafe.
(And when I took some stuff into the Age UK shop recently, they
persuaded me to give my details for gift aid, which generated a letter
a few weeks later, telling me that my stuff had been sold for £22.50
(or similar), which they treated as a donation to enable them to claim
the tax back.
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-04-10 00:14:24 UTC
In article
Post by Offramp
"If you are a UK Taxpayer ... you can Gift Aid your admission as a
donation to St Paul_s when you purchase your tickets both at the
Cathedral or via the Cathedral website.
This ticket will allow you unlimited sightseeing visits to St Paul's
over a 12 month period at no extra charge, and at the same time you
will be helping to support and maintain this great building."
That is a great idea; we deserve a bit of a break since we pay a lot
of tax. I wonder of any other tourist sites give the same incentive.
many offer similar deals
Which ones?
National Trust for starters.