Proposed trams under Cambridge
2017-11-13 15:28:49 UTC
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2fd0>
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.
Roland Perry
2017-11-13 16:19:51 UTC
In message
<288715438.532279467.295259.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
Post by Recliner
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152
e2fd0>
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?
Certes
2017-11-13 19:41:54 UTC
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?
I don't think so; I can't see anything about that on the BBC News or
Guardian websites...
Recliner
2017-11-14 03:54:34 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152
e2fd0>
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?
For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing. For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm. For
example, I'm currently sitting in the lounge in Vientiane airport, sipping
an early beer, and will soon be taking off. I won't be checking uk.r until
at least tonight.

Curiously, the flight I'm on is the modern version of the old Ho Chi Minh
trail: it's a Vietnam Airlines flight that starts in Hanoi, then flies on
to Vientiane and Phnom Penh and finally to Saigon, now rebranded Ho Chi
Minh City. Now, of course, it's a comfortable Airbus A321, not a battered
truck sheltering on a jungle trail. You get free beers, not free bombs,
while you're waiting.
Roland Perry
2017-11-14 07:41:37 UTC
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?
For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing.
I telecommute around the world (of which uk.r is only a small outpost),
chewing up the environment by flying only when strictly necessary. These
days I rarely leave the UK.

Haven't worked in a full-time job for 15yrs now, but have been active
online for 30yrs, much of that time in environments where online
participation was part of the brief.

But I readily agree that usenet is more of a displacement activity than
anything else these days.
Post by Recliner
For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm.
I'm not sure how much care is required to spot the sarcasm in: "there
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-11-14 11:44:35 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
[...]
I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.
Recliner
2017-11-14 12:16:05 UTC
In message
Post by Recliner
[...]
There are a few of the old French colonial buildings left in Vientiane, but
they're not particularly valued or protected against replacement by a more
practical and profitable modern building. You'd be hard-pressed to spot
that it was once a French colony, apart from a few French street names.
Bilingual signs mostly feature English or Chinese, and you see very few
European cars, none of which are French (but there some shiny Range Rovers
and even an old London taci). Their new boss, the world's most powerful
man, followed me to the city, whse roads were accordingly lined with
Chinese flags and flag-waving, uniformed kids.

The old colonial buildings in Phnom Penh are also disappearing fast, under
a wave of Chinese investment in new skyscrapers. The traffic jams are
terrible, as the new Chinese flyover is still under construction.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-14 14:57:31 UTC
In message
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
The place looks a bit of a dump on streetview. Which I suppose is why you've
visited - anywhere thats a bit rough and seedy eh?
Recliner
I could visit your part of north London if that's all I wanted.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-14 14:54:27 UTC
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 11:44:35 +0000
In message
[...]
Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?
Recliner
2017-11-14 23:21:43 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
[...]
You need to learn some geography, even if your fear of flying and
xenophobia stop you actually seeing the world. I've not been to Central
America for several years, and have yet to visit most of the Central
American countries.
Basil Jet
So you're on the run from the Central Americans as well... ;-)
Recliner
2017-11-15 01:21:44 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
[...]
It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
were at breakfast this morning (who knew that beauty queens eat?):
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/sokha-hotels-host-national-official-accommodation-miss-global-2017
Basil Jet
2017-11-15 01:51:31 UTC
I'm guessing the one with the blue hair is a feminist protester.
Graeme Wall
2017-11-15 11:32:45 UTC
It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/sokha-hotels-host-national-official-accommodation-miss-global-2017
I'm guessing the one with the blue hair is a feminist protester.
It's Recliner in drag :-)
so what do they eat?
Basil Jet
2017-11-15 09:19:36 UTC
It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
so what do they eat?
Anything they want... it's all coming back up as soon as they get back
to their en-suite.
Recliner
Dunno, I wasn't looking at their plates.
Basil Jet
2017-11-15 09:17:15 UTC
It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel.
What a great idea. Cut out all that world peace crap and just pick
whoever has the best globes.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-15 09:32:29 UTC
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 23:21:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.
Last month central america, this month is east asia.
You need to learn some geography, even if your fear of flying and
xenophobia stop you actually seeing the world. I've not been to Central
Do change the record old chap. Plus unlike you I don't live all alone so I have
to consider where my wife wants to go and young kids rather preclude any kind
of long haul flight. Perhaps if you could drive a car you could also tour
europe like we do and see cultural sights instead of ladyboy bars.
Central, south, all similar hispanic flee pits where I'm sure you fit right in.
Someone Somewhere
2017-11-19 11:42:18 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.
Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?
Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.

<fx: tryinng to stay on topic>
Is the commute to and from Heathrow, road-wise, being deliberately
slowed down so the Elizabeth Line can look even better than it should
do? Or is traffic really just getting that bad?
Recliner
2017-11-19 12:10:48 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.
Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?
Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.
And I got back into London this morning. My trip involved a total of seven
flights, on three Southeast Asian different airlines (two of which I'd not
heard of before), on three aircraft types (789, A321, ATR72). All flights
started boarding more or less on time, and proceeded smoothly. Even being
parked next to the 744 and 748 used by the most powerful man in the world
in Vientiane didn't affect our on-time departur. To Phnom Penh.
I've not noticed any recent deterioration.
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-20 09:59:08 UTC
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 12:10:48 -0000 (UTC)
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
he's on the run?
Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.
And I got back into London this morning. My trip involved a total of seven
flights, on three Southeast Asian different airlines (two of which I'd not
Your carbon bootprint is probably a size 20 by now. In case you didn't know
(I suspect you do but don't care), a modern airliner produces the same amount
of CO2 *per passenger* as a small car driven the same distance. In the last
month you've probably travelled 20,000 miles so you've helped produce the same
amount of pollution in that time as my car did in 18 months. Congratulations.
Recliner
Ah, Boltar, the eco-warrier!
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-20 14:08:42 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
amount of pollution in that time as my car did in 18 months. Congratulations.
Ah, Boltar, the eco-warrier!
I'm not lentil munching hippy, but I do my bit. You clearly don't give a toss
but then you've probably only got a few decades left anyway and apparently have
no offspring so why would you.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-11-20 18:07:25 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
amount of pollution in that time as my car did in 18 months. Congratulations.
Ah, Boltar, the eco-warrier!
I'm not lentil munching hippy, but I do my bit. You clearly don't give a toss
but then you've probably only got a few decades left anyway and apparently have
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.

Those who have not bred can claim that some of the resources that they
may using for a generous life style are those that would have been
used by subsequent generations of descendants and by not creating any
they can use a bit more themselves but overall the use of resources
will be a lot less than would have been used by an ever expanding
line of descendants.

In contrast those who breed are doing what comes naturally but it is
they who don't really care a toss as by their actions of producing
more generations of resource sucking human beings are the bigger
culprits and any "doing their bit" is just salvating their own
consciences .

G.Harman
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-21 09:57:08 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more and its not helped
when a one child policies as implemented in China are accused of being anti-
feminist or anti-woman or anti-child or some such bollocks by clueless
campaigners.
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Those who have not bred can claim that some of the resources that they
may using for a generous life style are those that would have been
used by subsequent generations of descendants and by not creating any
they can use a bit more themselves but overall the use of resources
will be a lot less than would have been used by an ever expanding
line of descendants.
Unfortunately the resources their theoretical descendents may or may not have
used in the future are largely irrelevant if the climate predictions are to
be believed. Its what these people are using now that matters.
Graeme Wall
2017-11-21 10:17:31 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more and its not helped
when a one child policies as implemented in China are accused of being anti-
feminist or anti-woman or anti-child or some such bollocks by clueless
campaigners.
The clueless one here is the troll with the potato fixation.
b***@cylonHQ.com
Uh hu wot dat you said Beavis? Uh huh huh huh.
Certes
2017-11-21 10:48:09 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit.
I can't really argue with you there, assuming one coupling per person.
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more
Also true, though I don't think we can blame the need for a tram line on
that (Cambridge not being noted as a hotbed of stupidity).
On that point, I have to disagree with our potato-based correspondent.
tim...
2017-11-21 10:56:53 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more
In developing countries you need as many children as possible in order to be
sure to be looked after in old age, because the state surely doesn't do it

tim
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-21 11:22:01 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more
In developing countries you need as many children as possible in order to be
sure to be looked after in old age, because the state surely doesn't do it
Many tribal peoples have a stable populations and care for the elderly as
a group. Its entirely dependant on culture.

Nick Leverton
2017-11-21 11:03:59 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to ...
You seem to have mis-spelt "education, income, child mortality and
availability of contraception".

Nick
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-21 11:19:36 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
no offspring so why would you.
Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to ...
You seem to have mis-spelt "education, income, child mortality and
availability of contraception".
If the population is rising then clearly the extra kids are not simply to
cover for child mortality, you don't need to be educated to understand if you
have a limited food supply you can't support too many children, ditto income
and the best form of contraception is to keep your trousers on.

Stop making excuses for these people, they're not some sort of witless missing
link whose behaviour is instinct based.
tim...
2017-11-20 10:45:30 UTC
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by b***@cylonHQ.com
he's on the run?
Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.
And I got back into London this morning. My trip involved a total of seven
flights, on three Southeast Asian different airlines (two of which I'd not
Your carbon bootprint is probably a size 20 by now. In case you didn't know
(I suspect you do but don't care), a modern airliner produces the same amount
of CO2 *per passenger* as a small car driven the same distance. In the last
month you've probably travelled 20,000 miles so you've helped produce the same
amount of pollution in that time as my car did in 18 months.
Congratulations.
except the plane would have flown whether he was on it or not

whereas your car would have gone nowhere

Right, because airlines make no attempt to match supply to demand?
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-20 14:12:36 UTC
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:36:24 +0000
except the plane would have flown whether he was on it or not
whereas your car would have gone nowhere
Right, because airlines make no attempt to match supply to demand?
Quite. The reason cloudless skies in summer over the SE is often a white haze
rather than a nice clear blue is because people like recliner think its
perfectly ok to fly 7K miles on holiday every few months. He probably thinks
the plane works on unicorn piss and moonbeams rather than 100+ tons of kerosene
per flight.
Mark Goodge
2017-11-13 16:45:41 UTC
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2fd0>
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.
By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.

Mark
Richard J.
2017-11-13 16:57:20 UTC
Post by Recliner
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2fd0>
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.
By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.
Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?) "Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.
--
Richard J.
Mark Goodge
2017-11-13 17:01:45 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.

Mark
Richard J.
2017-11-13 18:13:27 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line isn't? They are both networks of several branches with a common underground core. If you asked people which one wasn't a new railway, I think you'd find that most people would choose CamTram on the grounds that it's only a tramway.
--
Richard J.
Mark Goodge
2017-11-13 22:47:14 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.

Mark
b***@cylonHQ.com
2017-11-14 09:53:35 UTC
Post by Richard J.
In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line
isn't?
The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.
That depends how you look at it. It could be viewed as a new railway joining
up 2 previously (operationally) seperate railways, or you could view it as
simply an underground section of the national rail network.

I believe TfL has overall control of the underground section even though a
conscession will run it, so to me it seems more like an entirely new line.
Arthur Figgis
2017-11-13 19:26:02 UTC
By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.
We will probably have flying cars. On the moon.
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-11-14 00:42:03 UTC
Post by Recliner
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain_s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.
Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.
Cambridge has very suitable subsoils for tunnelling just like much of
London. It also has a chronic lack of rights of way for anything in its
centre much more acute than in London. With the expansion the city and its
surrounding area has experienced in recent decades and is likely to get in
decades to come tunnels can't be ignored. Some very well known engineers
have been advocating tunnelling for some time.

The real snag is where to put the portals and any underground stations. Two
very good station opportunities were there 15 or so years ago but that ship
has sailed. There may be others based on redevelopment but not obviously in
the foreseeable future.
2017-11-14 07:24:19 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Recliner
[...]
This plan appears (but is very small and not entirely to scale) to have
one in a field near the University Sports ground, and the others on
existing railway land.
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
and any underground stations.
And u/g stations at the Sidgwick Site, Fitzwilliam Museum (or is it the
Grad Pad) and Parkers Piece. Unclear if the railway station node is
supposed to be on the surface, or sub-surface.
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Two very good station opportunities were there 15 or so years ago
Grand Arcade and Bradwells Court?
2017-11-14 12:12:49 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Roland Perry
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
and any underground stations.
And u/g stations at the Sidgwick Site, Fitzwilliam Museum (or is it
the Grad Pad)
Mill Lane, as part of the planned redevelopment there, maybe. Makes some
sense.
Post by Roland Perry
and Parkers Piece. Unclear if the railway station node
is supposed to be on the surface, or sub-surface.
Parker's Piece? They're having a larf! Maybe on the Police Station site,
though.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Two very good station opportunities were there 15 or so years ago
Grand Arcade and Bradwells Court?
You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
2017-11-14 14:42:02 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
and Parkers Piece. Unclear if the railway station node
is supposed to be on the surface, or sub-surface.
Parker's Piece? They're having a larf! Maybe on the Police Station site,
though.
As I said earlier, the map's too small and out of scale to tell, but my
best guess is opposite the YMCA. Perhaps the idea would be to have the
passenger entrance somehow carved out of the area with the funky public
loos, or the Western end of the QAT car park.

Talking of which - wasn't there some earlier plan involving redeveloping
QAT which had something exciting in the basement, and also a grade
separated vehicular access from the Parkers Piece side of the road.
2017-11-15 01:34:59 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
and Parkers Piece. Unclear if the railway station node
is supposed to be on the surface, or sub-surface.
Parker's Piece? They're having a larf! Maybe on the Police Station site,
though.
As I said earlier, the map's too small and out of scale to tell, but
my best guess is opposite the YMCA. Perhaps the idea would be to have
the passenger entrance somehow carved out of the area with the funky
public loos, or the Western end of the QAT car park.
Talking of which - wasn't there some earlier plan involving
redeveloping QAT which had something exciting in the basement, and
also a grade separated vehicular access from the Parkers Piece side
of the road.
Indeed. We (led by the late councillors Chris Bradford and Roger Thornely)
fought off a plan to take a strip from Parker's Piece to provide an entrance
to and exit from the Queen Anne Terrace car park under Gonville Place while
the car park was being built in 1971. If you look carefully you will spot
the never-used exit lane that was supposed to enter a tunnel under Gonville
Place.

It was part of the "super highway to nowhere" plan (as dubbed by the
Shilling Paper and/or Braingrader) for a dual carriageway from Newmarket
Road to Trumpington Road via East Road (part built), Gonville Place and
Lensfield Road.
2017-11-15 07:23:33 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
I was thinking of much more recently, although no doubt harking back to
that plan. Perhaps a bus station in the basement (would require a
complete re-build, obviously).
Theo
2017-11-15 08:46:11 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Cambridge has very suitable subsoils for tunnelling just like much of
London. It also has a chronic lack of rights of way for anything in its
centre much more acute than in London. With the expansion the city and its
surrounding area has experienced in recent decades and is likely to get in
decades to come tunnels can't be ignored. Some very well known engineers
have been advocating tunnelling for some time.
The real snag is where to put the portals and any underground stations. Two
very good station opportunities were there 15 or so years ago but that ship
has sailed. There may be others based on redevelopment but not obviously in
the foreseeable future.
[I think we should take this to cam.transport, since this is turning into
uk.transport.london.cambridge again. FU set]

I can think of a few:
QAT (as mentioned)
Lion Yard
Park St car park
Grafton area
Hobson St bingo hall (though access is tight)
Old Press Site
Police station
Bus station
Underneath-the-market-square

Presumably any site would have to be one that's able to be a hole in the
ground for a year or two, which would rule out some options
(where would the market go in the interim, for instance?)

But I think the problem is that any plan is going to take years to get off
the ground: a development site that's earmarked now is not going to sit idle
for a decade, and there's no money to buy buildings until at least
legislation is passed. So the question really is: which buildings will
become life-expired in ~10 years or could be pushed over that edge if funds
were available?

Theo
Offramp
2017-11-14 14:17:00 UTC
What they need at Cambridge is an almost undetectable mole.